Seniors to Elect Eight Class Marshal Finalists

Here they come, the Class Marshals for 1990.

After preliminary elections last week separated the pretenders from true contenders, 16 men and women seniors won enough votes for a place on final balloting that begins Wednesday, Harvard Alumni Association (HAA) officials said yesterday.

Eight men and eight women emerged from a field of 85 candidates seeking to organize Commencement, reunion and fundraising activities for the Class of 1990, said Diane Jellis, assistant director of the office of classes and reunions for HAA.

Four seniors each from Harvard and Radcliffe ultimately will take the top honor.

Turnout was "average" in preliminary balloting, Jellis said, with 939 seniors voting. The number of candidates, 38 men and 47 women, declined from 116 and 106 men and women running in the last two years, however.

In another shift from recent years, two housesaccount for more than half the seniors who reachedthe final ballot. Five marshal hopefulls hail fromCurrier House, while four live in Kirkland House.

All 16 finalists boast qualifications across arange of activities that span the extracurricularbreadth of Harvard. The reason for this, claimsLeverett House's John David Brewington Jr., is thefact that these people, who voters "see" and"like", are the type who "are not satisfied withjust cracking the books."

Alexandra Tyler, a finalist from Adams House,denies that the election is a popularity vote."Some people accuse it of being a popularitycontest," she said. "I don't think it is."

Jennifer Brumage '90, a Kirkland senior, saidfriendships, contacts and "how people perceiveyou" help students decide for whom to vote.

Michael C. Ray '90, a Kirkland finalist, saidhe wanted to be a marshal because he "would liketo make sure this Class has a great senior yearand graduation week and stays together" afterleaving Harvard.

Final balloting will be held in house dininghalls October 11 through 13.

Following are the men and women finalists forthe Class of '90, in alphabetical order:

Oscar L. Alcantara, John David Brewington Jr.,Thomas Joseph Connolly, David Carter Dinielli,Daniel Thomas Dougherty, Jonathan D. Hacker,Michael C. Ray, Sengal M. Selassie;

Jennifer E. Brumage, Erin O'Brien, Charlotte R.Joslin, Amy M. McNamer, Kay S. Moffett, AlexandraM. Tyler, Kathy M. Washienko and Inci NimetYalman