Kelsen Bows Out of Chair Race

Former Treasurer Decides Not to Run After Debate

Saying that "the Undergraduate Council deserves a more ferverent and passionate advocate," Michael R. Kelsen '91 of North House withdrew this week from the race for council chair, only three days after announcing his candidacy.

"The organization is too important," said Kelsen, last year's treasurer. "I don't think I could have done it justice." Kelsen said that he will not run for any of the body's four offices when the council elects its leaders tomorrow night, and said he will decline all nominations.

Kelsen said that he came to his decision to withdraw shortly after a debate Wednesday night between the candidates for council chair. Although he said he was pleased with his performance at the event, Kelsen said he came to the realization then that "my heart really wasn't in being chairman."

"I just can't get passionate about randomization," Kelsen said, referring to an administration plan to randomize at least half of the spots in this year's housing lottery for first-year students. The candidates at the debate this week each discussed their plans for defeating the randomization plan, which has drawn opposition from much of the first-year class.

"It's because I think the organization is so important that I took myself out of the race," Kelsen said.

Despite his withdrawal, Kelsen said he would act as a rank-and-file representative to move the council away from political issues and toward student services.

Four candidates, David A. Battat '91, Sean C. Griffin '90, Lori L. Outz '91 and Guhan Subramanian '91-'92, remain in the race for the student body's highest elected office.

Kelsen declined to endorse another candidate for chair, but said that competence was the most important characteristic in a candidate.

"We had a crisis of confidence last spring," Kelsen said, referring to the ROTC controversy and a councilsponsored Susan Vega concert that lost a significant amount of money. "But those were management problems, not political problems," he said.