M. Booters Edge Quakers on Amen Goal

Crimson Stops Two-Game Losing Streak

By Andy Fine

The Harvard men's soccer team could have dropped its third straight game, but it didn't.

Amen to that.

Yesterday in front of 400 spectators at Ohiri Field, the Crimson defeated Ivy-leading Penn, 1-0, when sophomore Jeremy Amen scored the game's only goal late in the second half.

Harvard Coach Mike Getman may not have been pleased with his squad's performance, but he was more than satisfied with the outcome.

"I'd rather not play so well and win," Getman said.

"We needed this win and we got it," Getman added. "Penn has won some very big games, and they've done well against good opponents."

Last Wednesday, Harvard (3-3 overall, 1-1 Ivy) played what Getman had considered his team's best overall team performance in a 2-1 loss to Stanford.

Yesterday, each team was unable to score until the 82:30 mark of the game, when Amen took a pass from sophomore Lenny Ilkhanoff on the right side of the goal and grounded a shot past Penn goalie Mark Tepper.

The winning play was set up when sophomore Brian Enge and senior Dave Kramer dribbled the ball past midfield on the left side of the field. Amen saw an opportunity and capitalized.

"Brian and Dave played it across," Amen said. "I saw my man slide across to help and I was open."

Junior Nick Gates passed the ball to Ilkhanoff, who poked a perfect pass towards his uncovered teammate. Amen converted, thus ending the Crimson's two-game losing streak.

The Harvard defense then held on tight for the remaining 7:30 to ice the victory. The final chance for the Quakers (2-3-1,1-1-1) occurred with 10 seconds remaining when senior Nick D'Onofrio headed a ball away from the goal, allowing the clock to run out.

Unlike Wednesday's loss to Stanford, the Crimson had trouble creating opportunities. The Quakers stifled Harvard's offense in the first half, but could not generate any offensive punch of their own, either.

"Penn played really well in the first half," Amen said. "John Shue came in in the second half and really made things happen on his side of the field."

"We were much more solid on defense," Getman said. "Josh Morris and Enge made no mistakes in the back."

Behind the defense was sophomore netminder Jamie Reilly, whose first collegiate start was spoiled in overtime by the Cardinal. Yesterday, however, Reilly (eight saves) recorded a shutout--thanks to several diving saves and a supportive defense.

"My pulse is down to about 1000 now," Reilly said.

Penn's best chance in the first half came withnine minutes remaining, when both Jim Roberti andRichie Morrin missed close shots. The Quakersthreatened several times in the second half, butReilly answered the call.

With 34 minutes to play, Reilly made anaggressive play to break up a Penn bid in front ofthe goal. On the ensuing cornerkick, Reilly made ajump save, thwarting the Quaker threat.

"Reilly played a great game," Amen said. "Heplayed with great confidence."

Harvard survived a major scare with 19 minutesleft and the game still scoreless. Morrin receiveda lead pass in front of the goal, and put it pastReilly. The apparent tally, however, was denieddue to an offsides infraction.

Penn seemed to be in position to score againthree minutes later, when Mike Constantino crossedthe ball to Roberti, who was open in front of thegoal. Freshman Peter Cochran. however, busted theQuaker bubble by kicking the ball out of thegoalie box.

"We didn't do things much differently," seniorDerek Mills said. "We just couldn't put the ballaway against Stanford. and today we were luckyenough to get one."

THE NOTEBOOK: Harvard now prepares forWednesday's encounter against the University ofConnecticut in Storrs, Ct.. This game might havebearing on the NCAA tournament bids announcedlater in the season.

Crimson, 1-0 at Ohiri Field

Penn  0-0--0HARVARD  0-1--1

Goals-- H. Jeremy Amen (Lenny llkhanoff,Nick Grates) 82:30.

Saves-- P. Mark Tepper 5; H, JamieReilly 8