W. Rugby

Sports Wrap

By Bob Zayas

The Harvard women's rugby team pounced on Princeton Saturday at Soldiers Field en route to beating the Tigers, 8-6.

The Crimson (2-3-1) played strongly during the first half of the game. Harvard went up 4-0 on an early try but missed the kick for the conversion. Later in the half, the Crimson lost the lead as Princeton scored and converted for a 6-4 lead.

The Crimson also dominated play most of the second half but couldn't score again until late in the game. With two minutes left, Harvard Captain Alex Williams received the ball off a Crimson scrum from the number-eight position.

Williams ran the weak side of the field and passed to rookie Ellen McBreen who ran in for the go-ahead score. Princeton didn't have a chance to comeback as the clock counted down to end the game.

The Crimson has been playing well this season despite losing many of their top players to graduation last year. Harvard upperclassmen, along with Coaches Lisa Gartner and Anne Flavin, have succeeded in their goal of rebuilding and teaching the younger players the game of rugby.

"We are a pretty young team", Williams said. "We lost a lot of seniors last year and the players have had to pick up the game rather quickly."