Water Polo

Sports Wrap

The results were all too predictable. The Harvard men's water polo team beat, four teams in the New England Conference but lost to its nemesis, Brown, 11-7 in Providence this weekend.

After notching wins over MIT, 10-2, UMass, 8-3, Yale, 14-6, and Columbia, 14-8, the Crimson faced off against Brown Sunday afternoon in the tournament's finale. Brown is shaping up as the best team in the East this year, not just in New England where it hasn't lost a game since 1975. Harvard, now 8-0 against New England teams besides Brown, is on the rise and perhaps talented enough to upset the Bruins in one of their meetings this season.

Sunday, the Crimson opened strong. Very early goalie Brian Graham made a point-blank save on the Bruins' Steve Ennis, helping to spark the Crimson to an early 2-0 lead. After surrendering a man-up goal in the waning seconds of the first period. Harvard collapsed. In the second period the Crimson allowed five more unanswered goals.

The third quarter saw Brown increase its lead to 9-3 and although the Crimson played well in the final period, it could do nothing to avert the 11-7 final.

"We made too many mistakes to win," said Coack Steve Pike after the game. "Brown took advantage of every opportunity we gave them. Brown didn't make mistakes; we had to earth our goals." Pike also pointed out that his team played too emotionally to beat such a good squad.