Panamanian Troops Foil Attempted Coup

Defense Forces Recapture Headquarters After Six-Hour Gun Battle

PANAMA CITY, Panama--Troops loyal to Gen. Manuel Antonio Noriega recaptured the headquarters of the Panamanian Defense Forces yesterday and declared that they had crushed an attempted coup.

Rebellious troopers seized the head-quarters compound in the morning but apparently failed to capture Noriega, and forces loyal to Noriega counterattacked. After a six-hour gun battle, the government claimed victory.

"We want to underline that the situation in the country has been duly controlled to guarantee the peace and tranquility that the state should assure for its citizens," said a statement released by Justice and Interior Minister Olmedo Miranda.

The United States has been trying to oust Noriega, the Defense Forces chief who controls the government, for nearly two years. However, officials in Washington said they were not responsible for the attempted coup and U.S. troops were not involved.

The Justice Department statement declared an 8 p.m.-to-5 a.m. curfew and said the news media could report only official statements on the revolt.

Panama's provisional president, Francisco Rodriguez, speaking to the U.N. General Assembly in New York, said an attempted coup against his government had been crushed.

Rodriguez, in his midafternoon address, did not accuse the United States of complicity in the revolt but said Washington had undermined his nation with "financial terrorism, economic blackmail and political interference."

In a press conference, President Bush told reporters emphatically, "There were rumors around that this was some American operation and I can tell you that is not true."

Rebel soldiers had seized the Defense Forces headquarters in downtown Panama City yesterday morning.

The rebels' claimed in a broadcast around noon that they had overthrown Noriega and retired top officers, but that communique was not repeated. Loyalist forces later said the general was at an undisclosed location controlling the operations against the insurgents.

White House spokesperson Marlin Fitzwater said yesterday afternoon in Washington that officials had heard "rumblings" of the uprising. He said later it appeared that Noriega's forces "are back in control."

A communique by loyalists, read over Channel 2 television, said, "The nationalist officers of all ranks and in all the barracks country-wide have confirmed their loyalty to the fatherland...and to our Commander-in-Chief Gen. Manuel Antonio Noriega."

"The few who allowed themselves to fall prey to cowardice, to foreign money and to treason are a minority who advocated foreign intervention," the communique added. "In the next few hours, this group will appear before justice, covered with shame."

Firing around the Defense Forces headquarters tapered off in the early afternoon, but reporters were blocked from approaching the compound.

Several ambulances were seen leaving the area, and witnesses said there were some dead and wounded, but the number of casualties was not immediately known.

Jose Blandon, a Panamanian defector and former close aide to Noriega, said in Washington a leader of the assault told him by telephone Noriega was wounded and captured.