Jewett Plan is Breach of Faith

MAIL

To the Editors of The Crimson:

About two months ago, I was one of many who registered for the first time at this much-respected institution called Harvard University.

I thought I was here to be educated. I thought I was here to be enlightened. I thought I was here to be stimulated.

But now I find out otherwise. As one of the privileged Class of 1993, I may be here to be randomized.

Although I am not sending away for applications to transfer, I am disappointed and angry, along with many of my classmates.

For a significant number of students, choice in housing was a main reason to go to Harvard, especially as opposed to some school in New Haven which randomizes. Many students were excited about the opportunity to choose the kind of environment in which to live for three years.

Are there more athletic types in Kirkland than in Adams. At the risk of going too far out on a limb, I'm going to say yes. But the residents of both houses, people mature and intelligent enough to make decisions for themselves, chose to live with people of similar interests, thinking that such an arrangement was not inherently evil.

In pushing randomization, Dean Jewett is adopting a paternalistic attitude that he knows best how we should live. He seems to forget that he is dealing with 19 and 20-year-olds, not 10-year-olds. People aged 19 and 20, paying $20,000 a year, should have as much freedom of choice as possible in housing.

If Harvard is so worried about diversity, perhaps it should be making a greater effort to assemble a diverse faculty. Maybe we should all be required to participate in some kind of innovative seminar program which is designed for learning from each other's differences. There are other ways to encourage the appreciation for diversity.

We made our decision to come to Harvard with the understanding that we would be able to indicate preferences in housing. Therefore, any change in the housing lottery for the Class of 1993 would be an unacceptable breach of faith and an injustice.

Students must be heavily involved in the decision-making process on issues affecting student life. If, after all the debates and panel discussions are over, Harvard students clearly believe that the present system is the best route to follow, then a decision to change the present housing lottery in the future would be a serious mistake. Jason Solomon '93