Reporter's Notebook

'Not The Big One': While experts report that the earthquake which threw San Francisco and the surrounding area into turmoil this week was "not the big one" expected along the San Andreas Fault, it certainly got people thinking. In the relatively earthquake-safe environs of Cambridge, more than a few students were seen asking what to do in case one hits. The definitive answer from one native San Franciscan: "Hang on to the doorframe and pray."

"We were outside the ticket entrance when the whole stadium started to shake...I first thought the whole crowd was stomping, but when I looked up I knew it was an earthquake."

--Ari L. Goldfield '90, who had flown home to San Francisco for the World Series this week only to find a 6.9 earthquake displacing his hometown baseball contest.

Quake Day: In some ways the earthquake this week hit hardest some of the things which are most integral to the Northern California lifestyle: the freeway system, the Bay Bridge, a pedestrian mall in Santa Cruz. But despite the destruction (the quake was the second deadliest in U.S. history), San Franciscans were typically resilient, taking to the streets to help their neighbors, check out the damage or simply to do some exercise. It wasn't exactly a holiday, but then again, a day off from work or school isn't a common occurrence. Said Victoria Wong '90, who was in San Francisco recruiting for the admissions office, "People didn't go to work today, and for the first time I can remember schools have been closed because of an earthquake."

"We have come to an agreement that there's going to be a clean campaign from now on."

--Robert P. Wolff '54, head of the prodivestment Harvard-Radcliffe Alumni Against Apartheid, on a meeting this week with Harvard Alumni Association officials, where a "truce" was called on acrimonious campaigns for the Board of Overseers.

China By The Charles: Although the Head of the Charles regatta this Sunday is expected to draw more than 100,000 revelers for that quintessentially preppy sport of crew, organizers of a new student group promoting awareness of the Chinese pro-democracy movement see it as a perfect chance to get across their message. Joseph C. Kusnan '93, who helped found Harvard Students for a Democratic China, said the group has obtained permission to sell t-shirts at this weekend's festivities.

"You just lower your sights a little."

--Graduate School of Design Administrative Dean Mary C. Price, describing the difficulties of fundraising at one of Harvard's smaller, less prestigious schools.

Each 'Tub' Has Its Place: Harvard may have an endowment of more than $4.5 billion. It may be the largest academic fundraiser in the country this year. But some of the University's nine faculties couldn't care less. The reason? "Every tub on its own bottom"--the Harvard tradition which decrees that all schools must maintain their own financial autonomy. One result: the Graduate School of Education had a total budget less than half the size of what the Faculty of Arts and Sciences made in fundraising alone last year.

Working Out, B-School Style: Everyone knows that they do things a little differently across the river, but events this week once again proved the truth of that maxim. The Business School, blessed with an immensely rich pool of alumni and facilities to match, opened what many $18 million gym. It seems you have to have a golden parachute just to enter the place, though. No undergraduates are allowed, and even B-School students must shell out big bucks just to use some of the facilities. The certification required to use the fitness equipment area costs $50, the towel service $30 and a private locker for a year $20.