Asbestos Removal Continues

Work on Mallinckrodt Labs Will Be Completed Today

By Julian E. Barnes

Workers began removing hazardous asbestos from a room in the Mallinckrodt Labs yesterday as a part of a plan to upgrade the labs.

In keeping with governmental regulations, Harvard removes asbestos from buildings before allowing them to be renovated.

"This is a small straightforward job involving asbestos around piping," said John M. Price, an industrial hygienist with Harvard's Environmental Health Services.

The work in Mallinckrodt began yesterday morning and will be completed today, said Henry Brogna, capital project manager for the Faculty of Arts and Sciences. He said the asbestos removal, done by a private contractor, would cost "less than ten thousand dollars."

This summer, renovations of the Faculty Club were delayed because of extensive asbestos removal. Some asbestos was also removed from Pusey Library this fall.

"It's ongoing--as we renovate, we remove asbestos. Eventually we will purge the university," said Brogna.

Asbestos, now known to cause cancer and respiratory diseases in people directly exposed to it, was widely used in insulation until 1973 and is still present in many Harvard buildings.

Several people working in Mallinckrodt said they were unaware of the asbestos removal, while others familiar with it said they were satisfied with the safety measures taken by the work crew.

"I wouldn't be sitting here if there were [any danger]," said Susan J. Rothfuss, a department administrator in the Chemistry Department who works across the hall from the work area.