All-Ivy Captain and His Second Mates

Eclectic Notebook

By Michael Stankiewicz

After its win in The Game gave the Harvard football team sole possession of third place in the Ivy League, the Crimson is coming back for seconds.

The 1989 All-Ivy Football awards have been announced, and Harvard has placed three players on the second team All-Ivy squad. Only Captain Greg Gicewicz was able to nab a spot on the first team at nose guard.

Earning spots on the second unit were linebacker Craig Peck, offensive tackle Gerald Mahon and wide receiver Mark Bianchi. Bianchi, the squad's leading receiver and leader in average yards per rush this season, was also named to the first team of the Coca Cola/New England Football Writers All-Star squad.

Honorable mention All-Ivies for the Crimson include defensive end Mike Vollmer, cornerback Jim Smith, adjuster Bobby Frame, running back Jim Reidy, tight end Kevin Collins and tackle Tom Callahan.

Callahan, the only Harvard junior named All-Ivy, will be the team's captain next season.

The Ivy awards were announced Tuesday, with Princeton, running back Judd Garrett winning the Asa S. Bushnell Cup as Player of the Year, and Cornell running back John McNiff earning Ivy League Sophomore of the Year honors. Unanimous selections for the first team were guard Mike Davis, Garrett, defensive tackle Steve Hillegeist, linebacker Franco Pagnanelli and cornerback Frank Leal of Princeton, running back Bryan Keys of Penn, linebacker Mitch Lee of Cornell and safety Rich Huff of Yale.

Montalbano Again: The Ivy League also announced its women's soccer awards this week, with seven members of the 5-1 Harvard scquad receiving accolades.

Back Andrea Montalbano became only the seventh person in league history to be named to the first team four times in her career when she joined teammates Tara Weinstock and Tracy Hackeling on the first team this year.

Second Team All-Ivies for the Crimson include junior midfielder Tory Fair, sophomore forward Robin Johnston, and freshman back Erin Matias. Johnston finished the season as the league's leading scorer with seven goals and two assists.

The captain of the 1990 team, goalie Beth Reilly, earned honorable mention after recording a 0.69 goals against average this year.

Quote of the Week: "I really like our schedule. It prepares us well for the different type of teams we have to face in our conference. Harvard will play us differently, Canisius will play us differently, the Citadel will play us differently...(pause)...and Syracuse will really play us differently."--Duke men's basketball Coach Mike Krzyzewski after his Blue Devils shellacked Harvard, 130-54.