Icemen Hope to Paste Colgate

Harvard Travels to Hamilton to Take on ECAC Leaders

By Michael R. Grunwald

Today in Hamilton, N.Y., the Harvard hockey team's memories of a Starr will be reborn.

Last February 11, the Crimson--sporting an 18-1 record and well on its way to an NCAA championship--made its seasonal journey to Colgate's Starr Rink.

To the delight of the Starr gazers, Colgate jumped out to a 4-1 lead. But Harvard crawled back into the game, tying in on Allen Bourbeau's tally with 78 seconds to play in regulation.

In the extra session, it appeared that the teams would battle to a draw. Then, with 21 seconds remaining in OT, Colgate forward Craig Woodcroft flicked his second goal of the game past Chuckie Hughes.

"They showed a lot of courage," Coach Bill Cleary said after his squad had failed in its first attempt to provide him with his 300th career victory. "I kind of wish we had a better fate. I guess it wasn't in the cards."

This time, many of the same cards are on the table. Woodcroft is back, leading the Red Raiders in scoring with two goals and 10 assists. Colgate netminder Dave Gagnon--who recorded 40 sparkling saves in last year's contest--will once again be between the pipes for Coach Terry Slater tonight. Hughes will man the nets for the Crimson.

But the tables have turned. This year, Harvard already has amassed three losses in six games, and Colgate (6-2 overall, 4-1 ECAC) is the first-place favorite.

"We're not taking them lightly," Gagman said. "They're definitely missing some firepower, but they've got two of the best goalkeepers in the league. They still have a lot of guys who can play."

The Red Raiders have allowed only nine goals in their six league matchups. Four of them came Tuesday night, when Cornell's wish upon a Starr came true in a 4-1 upset of the Red Raiders in Hamilton. But Colgate, which lost its six-game winning streak and now shares the ECAC lead with RPI, was playing its fifth game in three days. This time, Slater's skaters are rested and ready.

Still, Harvard (2-3-1,2-3-1) played its best game of the season in its 4-2 defeat of Dartmouth Monday in Hanover, N.H. Forward Mike Vukonich notched his second straight two tally game, and sophomore goaltender Allain Roy was a wall, coming up with a career-high 45 saves. Most important, the Crimson generally was able to stay away from the ill-advised penalties that have plagued them this season, although third-period infractions nearly cost them the game.

"We have to get consistency," Cleary said. "That's the one thing we're striving for. All these penalties just take us out of our game."

Gagnon promised another physical game, but will this season's version be as exciting as February's? Don't count on it.

"That was a barn-burner," Gagnon said. "It was the most intense game I've ever played."