Holleran Wins Princeton Tourney

Racquetwoman Beats Yale's Belknap to Capture Title

By Ara B. Gershengorn

Three members of the Harvard's women squash team, Jenny Holleran, Stephanie Clark and Mary Greenhill, travelled to Princeton this weekend and dominated in the Princeton Invitational tournament.

The top 16 women squash players in the country, determined by last year's results and recruiting, were invited to compete in the match, in which Harvard senior Tri-Captain Jenny Holleran came in first place.

"It was a great opportunity to see where we're standing," said Holleran, who is playing number-one for the Crimson for the second straight year.

In her first-round match Saturday, Holleran, who was not even seeded in the tournament, crushed Rachel Stark from Dartmouth, 3-0. She then went on to defeat top-seeded Hope Mackay from Princeton, 3-1, and the Tigers' Jen Roos, 3-0, to advance to the championship match.

"Jenny was playing very well," junior Tri-Captain Clark said. "She played level-headedly and decisively throughout the match."

Yesterday, Holleran nabbed the title with a 3-2 win over Yale's Berkeley Belknap.

"It was really nice to see her playing so well. She really socked it to them," Clark said.

Clark lost her first-round match in a very close game to Belknap's twin sister, Mary Belknap from Princeton, 3-2, and then defeated Mary McGowan, Penn's number-one player, 3-0, in the feed-in consolation round before losing to Hope Mackay, 3-1.

"I was nervous," Clark admitted. "I didn't have enough confidence, and I just wasn't able to play my game."

Sophomore Mary Greenhill had a very impressive showing in her match at the Invitational with an amazing win in the first round against Princeton's Mary Faulk, 3-2.

Said Clark, "It was close, but decisive. [Greenhill's] a wonderfully strong player."

"The win was a terrific win for Mary," Holleran agreed.

Up-Hill Battle

Greenhill went on to play Yale's Hillary Morris in a tough 3-1 loss and was then defeated in the feed-in round by the Elis' Whitney Stewart in a frustrating match.