Jewett Will Publish Ad Board Pamphlet

By Philip P. Pan

In an effort to publicize the workings of the Administrative Board that some say is shrouded in mystery, Dean of the College L. Fred Jewett '57 said he would produce a pamphlet offering sample cases and clarifying the Board's procedure.

Jewett, who chairs the 25-member Ad Board, made the statement during a panel last night to discuss Ad Board procedure and reforms, including the role of senior tutors and student representation.

"I hope to publish some sort of pamphlet or piece of information that is much shorter and more comprehensive than the Handbook for Students," the dean said.

Jewett said he would use the pamphlet--to be distributed later this year--to remove some of the mystique surrounding the disciplinary body.

"I think we can do a better job providing information about generic cases," said Jewett, referring to model cases he will include so students will have a better idea of how the Ad Board sets disciplinary action and enforces it.

Jewett also said he would try to inform more students about their right to request a hearing before the Student-Faculty Judicial Board, created last year to replace the controversial Committee on Rights and Responsibilities. The board, which has only heard one case to date, rules primarily in cases in which the Ad Board does not have a clear precedence.

Current regulations require senior tutors to notify all students slated to come before the Ad Board of the new alternative.

The Ad Board is responsible for determining punishment for students who violate the College's academic and disciplinary rules. It is composed of faculty, administrators and senior tutors and first-year advisors.

At last night's forum, panel member Christina M. Platsis '90 criticized the Ad Board's policy of withholding information from students who bring complaints. She said the Board refused to tell her whether they had taken any action against a student who had assaulted her previously.

"When there is a concern of safety, it should override confidentiality," said Platsis.

Jewett said he sympathized with Platsis' situation, but said strict confidentialty was required by law, adding there was little the Ad Board could do.

Panelist Jon S. Richardson '91, who went before the Ad Board last year, said he was concerned about the dual role senior tutors play in Ad Board proceedings. Senior tutors generally