No National Ties?

DISSENT

By Joshua A. Gerstein

THE staff points out the University's anti-discrimination policy. These ground rules prohibit organizations from discriminating on the basis of race, sex, color, sexual orientation or national origin. As the staff notes, these rules are unquestionably just. And they are a valid basis for barring any organization that discriminates from receiving Harvard affiliaton.

The staff could have stopped there. But, it zealously went further, endorsing without reservation the University policy against recognizing groups with national affiliation. This restriction is clearly different from those combatting invidious discrimination.

THERE is no inherent evil in national affiliation. While one would be hard pressed to find a beneficial racist organization, there are plenty of national organizations that make substantive contributions to society.

The staff's argument for the national-affiliation rule is tenuous at best. It contends that the University will lack clout in dealing with nationally-affiliated student groups. But what kind of influence does Harvard need over these organizations?

Any group that deviates from these basic rules runs the risk of losing University affiliation. If it decided to stay with Harvard, its defection might prompt the national branch to consider its position. If its Harvard affiliation were withdrawn, the University's name would be kept clean.

As it is now, the national-affiliation policy is a threat to political and human rights groups all over the spectrum. If it were enforced as strictly as the staff proposes, the Civil Liberties Union of Harvard, Amnesty International, New Jewish Agenda, the Harvard Israel Public Affairs Committee, the Democratic Club and the Republican Club would all be forced off-campus. How that would help Harvard students is truly baffling.

Fraternities and sororities should be confronted and exposed for the truly anti-social institutions that they are. But if they are to fail, it should be because students choose to avoid them and not because unjustified rules are selectively applied aginst them.