Art On Campus

By Katherine E. Bliss

The Radcliffe Pitches and Harvard Krokodiloes' Valentine's Day Concert with the Yale Alleycats

Tonight at 8:00

Sanders Theater--tickets $5 and $6

Tonight the Pitches and Kroks take the stage with the Alleycats, one of Yale's all-male a capella singng groups. Valentine's Day is the theme of this performance, and the Pitches will perform their classic "My Funny Valentine" in addition to "Sentimental Journey," which they performed last week at the PBH/Oxfam America Jazz for Life concert. Tonight they present "Do I Love You" for the first time.

The Kroks' repertoire will include two new songs, "Tutti Frutty" and "Georgia." The Kroks' debonair style should provide an interesting comparison with that of the Alleycats, which is said to be similar to the Din and Tonics'.

The Fantastic Planet

Directed by Rene Loloux, France 1973

Harvard Film Archive Series

Friday at 7:30

The Carpenter Center--$3

Laloux's Fantastic Planet won the Cannes Film Festival Grand Prix in 1973 for its elaborate and vivid animation techniques. The futuristic plot centers on the story of the "Revolt of the Oms," survivors of a world disaster, who are kept as pets by other surviving world members.

The Immediate Gratification Players

Friday and Saturday at 7:30 and 9:30

At the Loeb Experimental Theater--free

Harvard's youngest improv comedy group presents its first Ex show this weekend with its performance of "TV Improv" Friday night and "Chez Cliche," a murder/mystery/cabaret on Saturday.

The two-and-a-half-year-old TIGP, which was started by freshmen in the fall of 1986, bills itself as basic improv theater, meaning that its members don't discuss specific plots before they go on stage; they take groups of three words or themes as their points of reference. Friday night the actors in the 16-member ensemble will spoof topics from TV talk show announcers to soap operas to docudramas, and Saturday night's Chez Cliche should feature, you guessed it, tried and true murder mystery themes.

Kate Clinton

Saturday at 5:00 and 8:00

Sanders Theater--tickets $14 in advance and $15 at the door

Feminist comedian Kate Clinton takes over Sanders Theater this Saturday with a concert to benefit the Boston Area Rape Crisis Center. Clinton, who has sold out shows at Boston's Club Cabaret and at the Great American Music Hall, is known for her whyscracks and political satire.

Clinton is a former high school English teacher who became involved with comedy after members of a writing class she was taking dared her to take her humorous words to the stage. Since then, she has produced three albums: Making Light (1982), Making Waves (1984), and Kate Clinton Live at the Great American Music Hall (1986).

Though she works to make people laugh, Clinton says she also wants her audience to go home and think about what she has said. She typically attacks national and local political situations from a feminist point of view.

Clinton's 8:00 show on Saturday is already sold out, but there are still tickets available for the 5:00 performance.