Cleary Finally Climbs to the Top of the Beanstalk

Mark My Words

By Mark Brazaitis, Special to the Crimson

BOSTON--A funny thing happened along the road to Bill Cleary's 300th career victory. Harvard won the Beanpot.

For Cleary, in his 18th year as Crimson hockey coach, number 300 could not have come at a better time. Harvard had not won a Beanpot since 1981.

Harvard won a shootout with Boston University last night in Boston Garden, 9-6.

"To see the smiles on those kids' faces--it's worth the wait," Cleary said. "Just to see those kids experiencing a Beanpot win--a lot of good players, a lot of good teams, have not done that."

Cleary grew up here, went to high school at nearby Belmont Hill and starred at Harvard. In the 1955 Beanpot, he scored seven goals, capturing the tournament MVP Award.

For Cleary, the Beanpot is a special event. A favorite ride in the amusement park.

As a coach, he has not had great success in the 'Pot. His record is a middling 16-20.

Last night he saw his team jump to a 3-0 first period lead but fall behind, 4-3, in the middle of the second period. Harvard roared back. And when it was over, Cleary roared.

"The event is a lot bigger now than when I played," Cleary said. "Only cousins and aunts and brothers attended in those years. But now the place is packed. It is an event. A great event."

And his 300th career victory? Cleary could not have cared less if last night's triumph were his first. As the final seconds ticked off the clock, Cleary stood on the bench waving his arms. When the gun sounded, he joined his players in raucous celebration.

Eight years later, Cleary was holding the 'Pot again.

"If I win 200, 300, 400 games--I don't care," Cleary said. "I enjoy working with these kids. I'm just glad they got a chance to win this thing."

And the kids were glad to win it.

"It almost feels like it isn't over," senior Paul Howley said. "It's going to take a while to sink in."

"It's long overdue," junior Ed Krayer said. "It feels great. It's nice to beat the locals. We always have great seasons, but we never beat B.U., B.C. or Northeastern."

"It's an emotional high, something I won't ever forget," said Allen Bourbeau, who lives in Teaticket, Mass. "I'm a senior, a local guy. The win is definitely up there with the Olympics, the NCAAs."

Harvard had to unleash all its offensive firepower to win this one. Down 4-3 with 16 minutes left in the second period, the Crimson reeled off three straight goals.

John Weisbrod scored after Peter Ciavaglia slid him the puck off a face-off with 15:19 left in the period. Two minutes later, Mike Vukonich tossed a soft shot that B.U. goalie Peter Fish dropped into the net. And with nine minutes left in the period, Captain Lane MacDonald slipped a backhanded shot past Fish.

Comeback complete.

"We bounced right back," Krayer said. "That was good to see."

The two squads established a record for most goals in a 'Pot final. In the second period, each team scored four goals.

Between the second and third periods, Cleary and Terrier Coach Jack Parker discussed the bombing raids each team was inflicting on the other.

"We were talking about what lousy coaches we were--neither team could play any defense," Parker said.

The Terriers were not equipped to keep pace with the flying Crimson.

"It was a run-and-gun type of game," Parker said. "We're not going to beat Harvard in that kind of game."

Fish had to suffer the brunt of Harvard's assault. The hero of B.U.'s 5-4 opening-round victory over Northeastern, Fish admitted last night that he did not play as well as he could have. Or should have.

"I just didn't come up big for us," said Fish, who made 22 saves. "I had a bad game. I put too much pressure on myself knowing how good they are."

MacDonald, Harvard's Hobey Baker Award candidate, snagged tournament MVP honors. He seemed bashful about getting the trophy.

He began reeling off a list of his teammates who easily could have won it.

"I feel a little embarassed because there are so many great players on my team--this is not a one-person team," MacDonald said. "It's a great honor, but it could have gone to anyone."