W. Swimming Wins Fourth Ivy Title

By Theodore D. Chuang

Perfection.

In the last four years, the Crimson has won all 28 of its Ivy League dual meets. That's perfection.

The Harvard women's swimming team captured its fourth consecutive Ivy League title with a 93-47 trouncing of Penn Saturday afternoon in Philadelphia.

"I'm very proud of the Harvard women's swimming team," said senior Tri-Captain Janice Sweetser. "We've come a long way since my freshman year."

Harvard has been tapering in preparation for next weekend's Eastern Championships, but Harvard still left Penn quaking, winning all but two events.

"Sometimes when you're in the middle of a taper, you don't swim that well," Tri-Captain Linda Suhs said, "but a lot of people were surprisingly fast."

Back and Forth

Harvard's Sheila Findley and Anne Koerckel swept the backstroke and breaststroke events, respectively. Findley swept the 100-yd. backstroke (1:00.2) and the 200-yd. backstroke (2:10.7). Koerckel out-touched Heather McCann in the 100-yd. breaststroke (1:09.7) and took the 200-yd. event in 2:30.3.

Other Harvard winners included Sweetser in the 200-yd. freestyle (1:55.6), Suhs in the 50-yd. freestyle (24.0), Jenny Moyer in the 1000-yd. freestyle (10:23.1) and Stacie Duncan in the 500-yd. freestyle (5:08.3).

Penn's only freestyle victory came in the 100-yd. event, as Sarah Ralston (53.1) held off Sweetser (54.1) and Jill Hutchinson (54.7).

Lisa Pierce captured both the onemeter and three-meter events and Harvard placed one-two in the 200-yd. butterfly, courtesy of Jenny Meyer (2:08.1) and Tri-Captain Karen Schneider (2:08.6). Nicole Engh took first for the Crimson in the 200-yd. individual medley in 2:16.6.

The Crimson will travel to Penn State to compete in the three-day Eastern Championships starting Thursday.