Dean Duke and Other K-School Rumors

By Madhavi Sunder

As Boston news offices buzzed this week with the rumor that Gov. Michael S. Dukakis was resigning his post to accept the deanship of the Kennedy School of Government, Kennedy School insiders proceeded to ridicule the rumor.

"Fifty to one, it's a bunch of crap," said former Dukakis Chief of Staff Hale Champion, who is now a lecturer at the Kennedy School. Dukakis' spokesperson flatly denied the rumor, as did the Kennedy School's public relations officer.

But while Kennedy School officials may dismiss the Dukakis rumor, no one but President Bok really seems to know much about the search to replace Dean Graham T. Allison '62.

The school has waited with bated breath for Bok's announcement since last summer, when Allison said he would step down at the end of this academic year. Although Bok has repeatedly said his decision will be announced "within a few weeks," he has not even offered an official short list of candidates for the post.

And meanwhile, Kennedy School faculty, students and staff continue to speculate about who the long-awaited dean will be.

Most frequently mentioned for the post are Academic Dean Albert Carnesale, Ford Professor of International Security Joseph S. Nye and Professor of Government Robert D. Putnam.

Carnesale and Putnam refused to comment on whether or not Bok has approached them for the job. Nye said that Bok had never spoken to him about taking the Kennedy School post.

The names of two well respected women academics--Mary Jo Bane and Alice M. Rivlin--also continue to float around the school as top contenders for the post. Some observers say increased pressure on the University to improve its affirmative action record makes the possibility of a woman dean more likely than in the past.