Thinclads Outdistance Northeastern

Horner, Rainey Set the Pace for Harvard in Season-Opener

By Christopher M. Thorne

In its outdoor season-opener, the Harvard track team weathered the cold and rain to sweep the men's and women's competition against North-eastern last weekend.

Winning twelve of nineteen events, the men's team scored 90 points to Northeastern's 73.

Freshman phenom, Derrick Horner, swept the 100 and 200 meters, and took third in the long jump. Horner's time of 10.6 seconds in the 100 ties his personal best. His 200-meter time of 22.1 seconds, and long jump of 21-ft., 2-in., marked strong performances for a season-opener.

"I'm right where I want to be at this point in the season," Horner said.

"I think we did a great job," Horner added. "Northeastern beat us in the indoors, and we turned that around."

While Horner was sweeping the sprints, Hiroshi Andrews took the hurdling events. Andrews won the high hurdles in 15.5 seconds, and took the 400-meter hurdles in 54.6 seconds.

In middle distance events, Eric Rahe took the 800 meter in 1:55.7 seconds.

Co-captain Brian Cann won his 5,000 meter event, and Harvard's mile relay beat Northeastern in 3:19.7.

The men's team did not fare as well in the field events. Northeastern won the javelin, hammer throw, long jump, shot put, high jump, and triple jump.

Crimson highlights in the field events came from Bob Herbst and NicSweeney. Herbst won the pole vault with a clear of 13-ft., 6-in., and Sweeney took the discus with a hurl of 173-ft., 7-in.

In the women's competition, Harvard doubled the score of its opposition, beating Northeastern 94 to 45.

Winning twelve of sixteen events, the Crimson women started the outdoor season.

In sprints, sophomore Meredith Rainey won the 100- and 200-meter dashes with times of 12.2 seconds and 25.0 seconds, respectively.

Elizabeth Ross placed first in the 400-meter hurdles with a time of 1:04.3, but Northeastern won the high hurdles and the 400-meter open.

In the distance races, Romney Resney won the 3,000 meters in 10:12, and Rose Schneider took first in the 1,500 meters with a time of 4:49.

On the field, Megan Young cleared 5-ft., 2-in., to win the high jump, and Katrina Posta jumped 35-ft., 9-in. to take first place in the triple jump.

Crimson women also excelled in the throws, winning three of four events. Manda Schossberger threw the javelin 116-ft., 11-in., for first place, and Cathy Griffin swept the shot and discus events.