Batswomen, Black Bears Split

Crowley's Triple Sparks First-Game Win

By Jonathan D. Unger

"I'd rather be lucky than good," softball Coach Barry Haskell told all who congratulated him after his team's fine performance yesterday.

But it was not luck; it was good, solid softball.

The Harvard softball team managed a split in its doubleheader with Maine at Soldiers Field. Elizabeth Crowley provided the highlight of the afternoon when she powered a two-run triple with two outs in the bottom of the seventh to give the Crimson (7-6) a thrilling 5-4 victory. Maine (16-18) pulled out the second game, 4-2.

The first game was a classic.

Harvard jumped out to a 2-1 lead in the third inning on the strength of Nancy Prior's double and Beth Wambach's RBI single.

Maine wasted no time in regaining the lead.

In the top of the fourth, Kim Reed knocked in two runs when she smacked a Julie Fromholz pitch into left-centerfield for a double. A fine catch by leftfielder Wambach prevented the Black Bears from extending their 3-2 lead.

Maine struck again in the fifth.

With two outs and a runner on third, Fromholz got Julie Bouchard to hit a high infield pop-up. The wind took hold of the ball as shortstop Rachel Donaldson circled under it. The ball dropped off Donaldson's glove, giving the Black Bears a 4-2 advantage.

The Crimson threatened in the sixth.

Singles by Crowley and Bev Armstrong brought Ellen Cox to the plate with two on and two out. The senior sent a bullet into left field which seemed destined for extra bases. But Maine's Barbara Bento made a terrific over-the-head grab to once again thwart the Harvard offense.

Then came the seventh. The Crimson was not to be denied.

Fromholz led off the inning by taking a pitch on the hand. After a Donaldson fly-out, Prior hit a hard grounder to Bouchard. The Maine second baseman decided to go for the force out of Fromholz. Her throw flew into left field. Fromholz strolled into third.

Beth Reilly singled to cut Maine's lead to 4-3. But when Wambach's fly ball was caught, Harvard was down to its final out.

Up came Crowley. And boy, did she ever pull through.

The senior All-Ivy performer smashed a Lori Methot fastball into deep left-center-field, and this game was over. Crimson wins, 5-4.

Harvard, however, was unable to equal the first game performance in the second contest.

Maine broke out to a 3-0 lead after hitting Lee Polikoff for three unearned runs, two in the first and another in the second.

The Crimson showed tremendous heads-up play in the bottom of the second. Anderson and Liz McNamara pulled off a daring second-home double steal to put Harvard on the scoreboard. Katy Frucher alertly kept the inning alive by hustling to first after the catcher dropped the third strike pitch. But the threat was turned down when Frucher was cut down stealing on a perfect throw to second.

With fundamental softball, Harvard cut the lead to 3-2 in the bottom of the fifth. Jen Clawson led off with a single. Donaldson moved her over with a perfectly executed bunt. Prior then brought her home with a shot to left. A double-play ended the rally.

"We're working hard, and we're improving on a gamely basis," Haskell said. "Today we did some little things which will help us win ball games."

Liz Crowley's mighty swing included.