Equestrian

Sports Wrap

By Michael J. Lartigue

Harvard freshman Susan Andersen, a member of the Harvard equestrian team, placed first in a novice-on-the flat horse show at Dartmouth, qualifying for the National Intercollegiate Horse Show to be held at Mount Holyoke May 6-7.

Andersen, the top finisher in the Region 10 novice division, is the first Harvard rider to reach the nationals. There were six other competitors in her class, but the freshman was judged to have better equitation--which includes the rider's form and handling of the horse.

"I'm extremely psyched for nationals," Andersen said. "This kind of competition is something I've only hoped for. My goal at the beginning of the season was to qualify for nationals.

Goal achieved.

"She rode really well," Captain Cindy Green said. "I didn't think it was much of a contest. She won, hands down."

In order to capture the national championship, Andersen will have to outperform 10 riders.

To qualify for regionals, a rider has to attain at least 28 points. In the last show of the season, the freshman won a blue ribbon (seven points) to reach regionals, her fourth ribbon of the year.