Batsmen Undo Engineers, 6-5

Comeback Kids Eye GBL Crown

By Christine Dimino

For the baseball fan, it was the perfect day for a game. For the Harvard baseball team, it was just another game that the Crimson had to come from behind to win.

Exploding for four runs in the bottom of the eighth, Harvard slipped past MIT, 6-5, yesterday at Soldiers Field. The Crimson improved to 9-11-1 overall, 5-1-1 Greater Boston League. If the team can defeat Boston University today, it will clinch at least a share of the GBL title.

The EIBL race may be over, but Harvard would still like to win one title.

"There's a lot of pride involved," Captain Dan McConaghy said. "We're always fighting."

In the first seven innings, Harvard stranded 10 baserunners and could not produce any rallies. MIT pitcher Mike Griffin teased the hitters. He scattered 10 hits and got away with it.

For seven innings, the Crimson trailed. The Harvard players looked like they would rather be studying for finals than driving in runs. But they persisted, and broke through in the eighth.

"That's baseball," Crimson Coach Alex Nahigian said. "Give the hitters enough chances and they'll come through."

Designated hitter Tim Hurley singled to left to lead off the eighth. Catcher Jay Jakimcyzk then smacked a single down the third base line, the first time in the game the Crimson got back-to-back hits with less than two outs.

It's amazing what timely hitting--and some timely errors by the opposing team--will do.

Harvard shortstop Dave O'Connell followed by laying down a slow rolling bunt. Griffin panicked and threw the ball past the first baseman. The Crimson pulled to within one, 4-3.

With runners on second and third, junior Tom Konjoyan blasted a single past the Engineers' third baseman, who was positioned on the grass. Harvard tied the score, and MIT brought in righthanded freshman Eric Hopkins.

After second baseman Jim Mrowaka popped out, Konjoyan stole second. Left fielder Marcel Durand tagged a double to center to give Harvard its first lead of the game, 5-4. Renninger bounced one to first to score Konjoyan and increase the Crimson's lead to 6-4.

A Done Deal

Some things are just habit for the Crimson: Put nine men on the field, give up a couple of runs early, then try to make the dramatic comeback.

"That's the way these things happen," McConaghy said. "It shows a lot of character. Most games, we're always making a bid."

Comebacks are the old story for the Crimson. The new one is freshman pitcher Sean Johnston. Taking over for starter Greg Ubert in the sixth, Johnston fanned eight Engineers in his four innings of work. Although he gave up two runs, Johnston kept MIT off balance.

"He showed a lot of poise," Nahigian said. "He's come along and [he] threw extremely well for a freshman."

MIT teed off on Harvard in the first. Ubert walked shortstop Pillan Thirumalaisamy. Helping his own cause as well as the team's, Griffin doubled to deep center to drive in the first run of the game.

Catcher Tim Day then blasted a homerun to left field, and the Engineers mounted a 3-0 lead. After the first, however, Ubert found his game and shut down MIT, retiring 12 straight batters.

"I don't know how they got those hits in the first," Ubert said. "[After Day's homer] I was just trying to throw strikes."

THE NOTEBOOK: MIT committed three errors and gave up three unearned runs...Nahigian removed Ubert after the fifth inning because the righty is pitching Sunday against Army...The Crimson out hit the Engineers, 14-6...Harvard meets B.U. for at least a share of the GBL title today at 3 p.m. at Soldiers Field. The game was rescheduled from a rainout on April 8.