Swordswomen Claim 7th Place in NCAA Tourney

The Harvard women's fencing team continued its ascent into the national fencing spotlight with a seventh-place finish in the NCAA Championships in Evanston, Ill.

The Crimson has improved on its finish in each of its three NCAA appearances--finishing in 10th place in its first national tournament two years ago and an eighth place standing in last year's NCAA tournament.

"I'm perfectly pleased, this is our best finish ever," Harvard Captain Penelope Papailias said. "We did much better than was expected. People thought we would be knocked out in the first round."

Seeded ninth in the tournament, Harvard topped Fairleigh Dickinson, 9-7, in the preliminary round Sunday. Senior Amanda Leness came through with a key 5-4 win, and Papailias, who won four bouts, also pulled off a pair of 5-4 bouts.

The Crimson had been winless in its previous matches with Fairleigh Dickinson.

"It was a total coup for us," Papailias said. "We've never beaten them."

And the Crimson came close to not defeating them again. With Harvard ahead, 8-7, on the scoreboard, but behind in total touches scored, the Crimson had to avoid an 8-all tie.

But senior Kristina Perkin, who won three bouts, easily dusted off her foe, 5-0.

The good times came to an end. The Crimson was subsequently foiled by Columbia, 9-4, later that day, and again by Penn, 9-2, and Penn St., 9-7, on Monday.

Harvard closed out the tournament by defeating Ohio St., 9-7.

In the individual competition, Papailias qualified for the fourth consecutive year. Seeded 14th, she came on strong after a slow start in the preliminary round to finish 12th.

"I've come in the same spot each of the last four years," Papailias said. "I've been consistent, but its been frustrating. I've won one direct elimination bout each year."