Twins Top Red Sox, 6-2; Viola Earns First Win

BOSTON--Frank Viola allowed seven hits over eight-and-a-third innings last night for his first victory of the season in six decisions as the Minnesota Twins beat the Boston Red Sox, 6-2, at Fenway Park.

Viola, the 1988 Cy Young Award winner with a 24-7 record, lost the shutout bid when the Red Sox made it 6-1 in the eighth on a one-out double by Wade Boggs and a two-out single by Ellis Burks.

Viola struck out six and walked three before leaving after allowing a one-out double in the ninth to Dwight Evans.

German Gonzalez relieved Viola, but didn't last long. Gonzalez was greeted by a single by Nick Esasky, the first batter he faced, to make it 6-2.

Jeff Reardon came on to get the final out for his fifth save.

Staked to a first-inning lead when Boston starter Wes Gardner (1-3) had to leave the game with a sore elbow, Viola breezed in extending his mastery of the Red Sox.

Although only 10-8 lifetime against Boston, he has won four in a row over the Red Sox. In 1988, he beat Boston, 2-0 and 5-0, within a week for his only shutouts of the year. He followed with a three-hit, 8-1 victory in midseason.

With one out in the first, Dan Gladden singled and Gardner walked Kirby Puckett on four pitches.

Kent Hrbek flied out to left on the first pitch, but Gary Gaetti walked on four pitches, loading the bases.

With a 3-0 count on Randy Bush, Gardner was replaced by Dennis Lamp, who completed the walk, forcing in Gladden.

Singles by Gladden and Puckett and Gaetti's sacrifice fly made it 2-0 in the third. The Twins added a run in the fifth on a two-out double by Gaetti and a single by Bush and three unearned runs in the eighth on a run-scoring single by Greg Gagne and a two-run single by Hrbek.

The victory was Minnesota's second straight over Boston and just its fourth in 17 games.