Illinois Professor Named New Houghton Librarian

By Danielle C. Cunningham

A professor of English and Art History at Northwestern University has been named the next librarian of Houghton Library, Larson Librarian of Harvard College Y. T. Feng announced last week.

Richard Wendorf, who has taught at Northwestern since 1976 and is associate dean for undergraduate education there, has agreed to take charge of the University's collection of rare books.

"Mr. Wendorf has the combination of talents necessary to be Librarian of Houghton Library," Feng said. "As a scholar, he understands the use of the library in the scholarly research environment, and as a teacher, he particularly cares about education for undergraduates."

Windproof will become a member of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, but he said he does not plan to teach courses.

"At the moment I do not have any intention to teach. Rather, my emphasis will be on leadership," said Wendorf.

In recent years, the library has been at the center of the University's attempts to conserve and restore its rare book collection. Wendorf said that this is not a new problem, and he does not anticipate any serious challenges in this area.

Wendorf also said he has begun discussing plans for Houghton's 50th anniversary, which will take place in 1992.

A Fantastic Institution

"My hope is that we will do something for the 50th anniversary that will further draw attention to the richness of Houghton Library," said Wendorf.

"What excites me about Houghton Library is that it matches my interests so closely," Wendorf added. "I have a keen interest in all parts of this fantastic institution."