PBK Holds Literary Exercises

Lewis Speaks to Phi Beta Kappa Seniors at Sanders

By Melanie R. Williams

Journalist Anthony Lewis '48 addressed the 168 seniors elected to Phi Beta Kappa about the freedom of the British press at the society's literary exercises yesterday in Sanders Theater.

The exercises were devoted to inducting the final members of the Class of '89 elected to Phi Beta Kappa into the society. The group included 64 men elected to the Alpha chapter and 64 women to the Iota chapter of Phi Beta Kappa.

In addition, seven men including Erwin Heibert, emeritus professor of Science, William B. Anderson '39, a former University Marshall, and Williams S. Merwin, a poet who was present at the ceremony, became honorary members. And the Iota chapter elected Prime minister Benazir Bhutto of Pakistan, President-elect of Radcliffe College Linda S. Wilson and educator Deborah Nord as recipients of honorary status.

Merwin, who read his poem, "The Day Itself," was introduced by President of the Alpha chapter Albert B. Lord '34 as having "a serious dedication to a knowledge and omission of the Bible."

Merwin prefaced his poem by saying that it is important to appreciate things while they still exist. "One can't live in only desperation and anger without destroying the thing you are angry at. There's a need to pay attention to things while they're still around," he said.

Lewis, who formerly served as chief of the London bureau of the New York Times and now writes a column for the paper, delivered the main oration at yesterday's ceremony. In his talk, entitled "No Power, No Responsibility: The British Press," Lewis described instances when he believed that the British press failed to use responsible jounalistic techniques.

Generating laughter throughout the speech, Lewis spoke at length about news stories on the sex life and pets of Elton John run by the Daily Sun and the World News Today, both of which are owned by Rupert Murdoch. The stories in this recent series resulted in John filing libel suits against the press.

When John took the papers to court, the informant who provided the journals with the stories testified that "I've never even met Elton John and in fact I hate his music," Lewis said.

Lewis added in conclusion, "You cannot hope to bribe the British journalist, but seeing what they'll do unbribed there's no call for it."

Lewis also talked about another side of the British press, describing it as "one of the great conservative institutions of the western world." He said that in England judges can and routinely do stop articles from appearing in papers and that no items can be printed about official matters unless they get clearance from the government.

He also briefly talked about the importance of Private Eye, which frequently parodies established opinion. "The magazine is considered partly made of juvenille items, but it is the only publication that regularly challenges established policy and makes a pass at quality journalism," Lewis said.

The journalist closed by saying that a free press is important but unless it is handled responsibly it is useless: "Democracy is the power to choose and journalism is a mockery without info."