Stickwomen Win Ivy Opener

Joslin, van Dykum Tally in 2-0 Win Over Yale

By Martha C. Abbruzzese

In its first Ivy Leage contest of the season, the Harvard field hockey team traveled to New Haven and downed Yale in an impressive 2-0 victory Saturday.

Junior Anne van Dykum and senior Co-Captain Char Joslin each tallied a goal for the Crimson (2-1 overall, 1-0 Ivy). Van Dykum's first goal, which came at the 12:12 mark of the first half, was scored off a deflected Harvard shot on net. Van Dykum picked up the rebound of senior Lisa Cutone's corner shot and drilled it by Yale's keeper Sue Sabatino.

Sabatino, one of the leading goalies in the Ivy League with a a .822 save percentage, was a main worry for the Crimson. However, Harvard kept the pressure on the entire game, keeping Sabatino busy with 17 shots on net.

The Crimson's second goal came at the 15:28 mark of the second half. Joslin, who dribbled to the left and flicked a wrist shot past Sabatino, scored her third goal of the season to top all Crimson scorers.

Despite the heat conditions which slowed down the Crimson, Harvard played a strong game by moving the ball well and making good passes.

After coming off a disappointing loss to Northeastern last Wednesday, Harvard sought to take out its frustration on the Elis.

"We played better as a team," sophomore Sandra Whyte said. "We definitely picked up the intensity in this game."

Whyte, a right back for the Crimson, was a key player on transition by halting Yale's offensive attacks and driving the ball upfield.

"There was a lot of half field," Coach Sue Caples said. "We had a lot of opportunities on attack and we controlled the tempo of the game."

Harvard dominated in the offensive end of the field with 15 corner shots. Crimson sophomore goalie Lisa Yadao saw little action at her end of the field. Yale managed only 7 shots on Yadao the entire game.

"The second half went well, there were good combinations and the backs overlapped effectively," Caples said. "We are showing improvement each game by learning from our mistakes."

The Crimson faces Lowell at Soldiers Field tomorrow at 4 p.m. for its first home contest of the season.