Weld Residents Report Suite Robbery; Watch, Cash, Jacket, Coop Bag Missing

In what appears to be a rash of dormitory robberies, an unidentified man broke into a Weld Hall room between Thursday night and Friday morning, stealing several hundred dollars worth of cash, clothing and other articles, the residents said yesterday.

Eric Lai '93 said he and his roommates went into their suite and found cash, a watch, compact discs and a jacket missing.

After asking other Weld residents if they had seen the objects, they reported the matter to the Harvard police, said Rico Reyes '93, a first-year student in Weld.

An unidentified witness to the incident described the thief as a 5'10", 170-lb. man with blond hair and a shaggy beard, according to Reyes.

Reyes said a man matching this description was later seen and looking for open suite doors. The man was reportedly carrying a Coop bag, an item Lai said had been stolen from his room.

Police refused comment yesterday on the robbery, saying an official spokesperson was unavailable.

It is not know whether the incident is connected to robberies earlier last week at Adams and Dunster Houses.

The door to the suite was unlocked at the time of the theft, the students said.

David Grimes '93, who lives in the suite, said the police had not yet contacted them about the missing property.