W. Ruggers Storm MIT; Lewis Tallies Two Tries

By John B. Roberts

Hurricane Lily could not stop the Radcliffe rugby team on Saturday, and neither could MIT.

Radcliffe Co-Captain Yolanda Lewis overcame the conditions to score two tries in the second half as the Black and White handed the Engineers a 14-4 defeat.

"We did a good job stabilizing the game," noted senior Co-Captain Alex Williams.

In the sloppy weather, Radcliffe only scored one conversion. Still, Lewis's two tries--combined with sophomore Fran Maxime's try early in the game--were enough for the win over Radcliffe's traditionally weak league rival.

"It's always hard to play a team that's not as strong," Williams said.

Last weekend, in its first action of the fall, the Black and White finished second in the Mayor's Cup Trophy in Brighton. Facing league rivals Brown and Vermont and crosstown rival Boston College in the Beanpot Women's Rugby-sponsored event, Radcliffe dispatched the first two teams but ran into trouble against the Eagles.

A tight 4-0 victory over Brown was followed by a 12-0 win over UVM. Williams, from the eight-man spot, scored all 16 points for the Black and White.

The game against B.C. was a shut-out as well--for B.C. With its 19-0 victory, the Eagles gained the tournament crown for the second year in a row.

"We were pleased to come in second in our first games of the year," said senior Keiko Morris.

Radcliffe travels to Providence on Saturday to take on the Bruins again at Brown's Parents Weekend.