Students Launch Japan Magazine

Inside Japan to Focus on Culture, Politics and Economics

By Yin Y. Nawaday

If America's economic and political future really does lie with the Japanese, then the publishers of a new student publication say they will be ready.

A group of students say they have laid the groundwork for Inside Japan, a magazine dedicated to Japanese culture, politics and economy on campus. Already, the publication's executive board has begun networking with other organizations, such as the Japanese Consulate and universities in Japan, in an effort to gear up for its premiere issue this February.

"We definitely think the interest is out there," said Kyoko Takahashi '93, co-founder and managing editor. She said the increased enrollment in Japanese language courses and greater concern over U.S.-Japanese relations are proof that students will be interested in a magazine like Inside Japan.

Cara Dunne '92, co-founder and editor-in-chief, said she wanted to create a magazine that would help students understand what people in Japan think. To achieve this, she said, the magazine will feature an exchange section, in which students from American and Japanese universities will voice their opinions on the same topics.

The publishers said they magazine will include articles written by both Harvard students and professors.

The organizers also said they are forming an advisory council, with prominent figures from the medical business and academic communities to help the publication. They said that Professor of Government Susan J. Pharr and Acting Dean of the Faculty Henry Rosovsky have already said they would join the council.

The publishers said they would finance the first issue with grants from the University, but added that they hope to make the magazine financially independent by next year through advertisement revenue.