First-Year Arrested In Police Scuffle

A first-year student was arrested early yesterday morning on charges of assault and battery on a police officer after attempting to elude arrest.

The student, Bernard A. Mansavage '94, was stopped by three police officers outside of Hollis Hall at approximately 4:20 a.m. The officers were responding to a call from a Yard security officer that several individuals were throwing rolls of toilet paper against buildings.

Two other students who were with Mansavage cooperated with the officers and surrendered their bursar's cards, but Mansavage attempted to flee after giving officers a false name and address.

"He knocked over one officer and struggled with another," said Harvard University Police Chief Paul E. Johnson. "Apparently, he just panicked."

Mansavage was placed into custody and brought to the Cambridge police department. His case was later dismissed on the condition that he pay the court costs and agree to apologize to the officers involved, said Jack W. Morris, deputy chief of the Harvard University Police.

The incident will not be placed on Mansavage's permanent record, according to Johnson. "He's not a bad kid," Johnson said. "There was just some alcohol involved."