Just Joking

MAIL

To the Editors of The Crimson:

I would like to respond to the article written about me in the November 7 issue of The Crimson. I was grossly misquoted, and several comments were construed to innaccurately portray me as "reveling in a non-serious academic approach."

By my comment that I don't take things as seriously as I did my first year, I meant that I would no longer get stressed out to the point of crying during an exam. This does not mean that I do not take academics seriously, and I believe my academic record is evidence of this.

I was very upset about the "quote" attributed to me about talking my friends into sicking out of exams. I made the unfortunate mistake of mentioning to the reporter a joke which is not taken seriously by me or any of my friends. I was obviously joking, and certainly did not intend to be taken seriously.

I approached the interview with a lighthearted attitude and a sense of humor. When I read the article, I felt like it was about someone else. Had I realized that such a negative angle would be used in writing the article, I would never even agreed to be interviewed.

I do not believe that it was the intention of the reporter to misquote me, and would threrefore suggest that in the future, a tape recorder be used during interviews to avoid this. Kathy Dowling '91