HSA Picks Ten New Leaders

Undergrads to Take Control of `Real World' Business

By Angelina M. Snodgrass

Ten enterprising Harvard students are getting a taste of the business world in the basement of Thayer Hall this week, as they begin a three-month training period in preparation for the management of the 10 divisions of Harvard Student Agencies (HSA).

The new managers were chosen to head each of the agencies at the student-run corporation for one year, after a two-week application process. They began their training on November 1.

"It's not easy to get a job here," said David A. Kopp '91, student president of HSA.

Candidates for any of the managerial positions had to submit a resume and essays, and then interview with previous agency heads. Finalists then went through a panel interview with Kopp, HSA Operations Manager Joseph Hayashi '90 and Chief Executive Officer Michele Ponti. "It's definitely got the flavor of the real-world interview process about it," Kopp said.

Kopp said that the crucial characteristics he sought in HSA managers included dedication, commitment, organization and a positive attitude.

"You look for that undefinable thing they call competence," he said.

This year's managerial trainees are scheduled to take charge of their agencies on February 1, 1991. The job requires a minimum commitment of 20 hours per week during the school year, and 35 to 40 hours each week during the summer.

This year's new agency heads are Tobey Weintraub '92, of Catering; Scot Landry '92, of Direct Sales; Fred Jenkins '92, of Distribution; Malcolm Miles '93, of Linen; Zanley Galton '92, of Publishing; Michael L. Campbell '93, of Sales Group; Matthew Kirsch '93, of Student Resources; Jason Jue '93, of Text Processing; Brian Goler '93, of Travel; and Grace Yeh '93, of Union.

"I'm extremely confident that the group we've got this year is going to be outstanding," Kopp said, adding that this year's trainees are unique in that about half of them have worked for HSA in the past.

Often many of the managers have no previous experience with HSA, he said, adding that "It shows that the people who work here have a pretty positive attitude about HSA."