Holy Cross Streaks By Cagers

Dickerson, Nairus Tally 22 in Crusaders 105-89 Win

By Michael Stankiewicz

The Harvard men's basketball team's game against Holy Cross last night at Briggs Cage bore remarkable similarity to its season so far. Only one phrase could describe it: "slow out of the blocks."

The Crusaders, who entered the game with only one win, a hard-fought three-point decision against long-time Ivy cellar-dweller Columbia, streaked to a 10-2 lead in the first three-and-a-half minutes. Holy Cross freshman guard David Boyle added seven quick points off the bench to help Holy Cross open up a 23-9 lead on its way to a 105-89 victory over the stumbling Crimson (1-4).

"When you get off to a quick start, it changes the game around," Harvard Coach Peter Roby said. "You put your opponent in a comfort zone, they get easier shots. And there isn't that sense of urgency that you can't make a mistake on every possession."

Five of the Crusaders' first six baskets came on layups, with Aaron Jordan and Leon Dickerson converting off the break and Jordan and Earl Weedon tipping in offensive rebounds as the Crimson slipped behind, 12-4.

"We worked the ball around a lot better today, so that we got a lot of layups," said Holy Cross senior center Jim Nairus, who finished with a game-high 22 points.

Boyle then stepped in for forward Bill Walker, who had picked up two quick fouls, and nailed a three-pointer from the right side to up the Holy Cross advantage to 15-6. Boyle's baseline jumper and two foul shots gave the Crusaders a 23-9 lead. After this initial onslaught, Harvard never got closer than four points.

"David Boyle stepped to the fore today, hitting those threes and playing solid defense on [Harvard forward] Ralph [James]," Holy Cross Coach George Blaney said.

James was limited to a marginal defensive role because of a shoulder injury suffered last Saturday. Offensively, James lost the threat of his outside shot, but did manage to score 10 points, including 6-for-6 shooting from the foul line.

And with James and sophomore Peter Condakes, also hampered by a back injury, logging heavy playing time, the Crimson wasn't able to keep up with the Crusaders in a quick-tempo game.

"After three games playing a team that is being patient, this is the kind of game we needed," Blaney said. "We needed to get into the open court. We wore them down."

Doing most of the damage in the open court was forward Leon Dickerson, whose 22-point, 10-rebound effort was highlighted by 10-for-15 shooting from the floor. This was nothing newfor the Crimson, which saw Dickerson blitz themfor 19 points in the Crusaders' win over Harvardlast year.

"Dickerson was outstanding tonight," Blaneysaid. "With the open court and the changing D's,it's his kind of game. Everytime we saw pressure,we attacked it, and he was a big part of that."

Trailing by eight, 51-43, at halftime, Harvardpulled to within four points in the early minutesof the second half behind Ron Mitchell's twolayups and sharp defense. Tyler Rullman's fallawayjumper cut the deficit to 57-53, but Nairus'turn-around jumper keyed a 17-0 run that put thegame out of reach.

With the score 61-53, a missed dunk by Harvardforward Ron Mitchell killed the Crimson'smomentum. Harvard point guard Tarik Campbell drovethe lane and dished to Mitchell, who missed theslam dunk and was called for a technical foul forholding onto the rim. The Crimson crumbled, beingoutscored, 13-0, over the next two minutes.

Nairus, shooting only 30 percent from the fieldentering the game, broke out of his shooting slumpwith a 7-for-9 shooting effort, including a pairof back-breaking three-pointers.

"I was shooting with a lot more arc today,"Nairus said. "My father saw me play at Hartfordand told me I was shooting flatter than he's everseen me."

Campbell was Harvard's star player, taking theoffensive burden from James. Campbell drove thelane all night, finishing with 19 points on7-for-11 shooting.

"I just went in [to the locker room] and putfive names on the board, Larry Johnson, DougSmith, Kenny Anderson, Alonzo Mourning, and SteveSmith," Blaney said. "Then I crossed out DougSmith's name and put Tarik Campbell up there,because we made Campbell a First-Team All-Americathe way we defensed him tonight."Crusaders, 105-89

Crusaders, 105-89 at Briggs Cage

Holy Cross  51-54--105HARVARD  43-46--89

HOLY CROSS (108): Aaron Jordan 2-4 2-26; Bill WAlker 2-4 0-0 4; Jim Nairus 7-9 6-7 22;Earl Weedon 7-11 0-0 14; Leon Dickerson 10-15 2-522; David Boyle 4-8 5-7 14; Frank Powell 4-6 3-312; Scott Martzioff 1-3 3-4 5; Roger Breslin 0-11-3 1; Rick Mashburn 2-4 1-4 5; David Rothstein0-0 0-0 0; John Young 0-0 0-0 0; Derek Farkas 0-00-0 0; Reece Horton 0-0 0-0 0.

Totals: 39-65 23-35 108

HARVARD (89): Tyler Rullman 4-12 3-5 12;Ron Mitchell 9-20 3-4 21; Mike Minor 0-4 0-0 0;Tarik Campbell 7-11 4-9 19; Ralph James 2-6 6-610; Matt McClain 4-8 4-5 12; Peter Condakes 1-45-7 8; Jabbar Abdi 1-3 0-0 2; Anikar Chhabra 1-20-2 2; Dave LaPointe 1-1 0-0 3; Will Curry 0-0 0-00; Matt Vaughan 0-0 0-0 0.

Totals: 30-71 25-38 89

Three-pointers: Nairus 2, Boyle, Powell;Rullman, Campbell, Condakes, LaPointe. Fouled Out:Mitchell, Campbell. Technical Fouls: Mitchell.Rebounds: Holy Cross 42 (Dickerson 10); Harvard 40(Mitchell 11). Assists: Holy Cross 15 (Jordan 4);Harvard 12 (Campbell 7). Steals: Holy Cross 15(Jordan, Dickerson, Martzloff 3); Harvard 12(Rullman, Campbell 4). Blocks: Holy Cross 2(Nairus, Weedon); Harvard 4 (Mitchell 2). TotalFouls: Holy Cross 28; Harvard 22. Turnovers: HolyCross 17; Harvard 20.

Attendance: 935