Task Force Assembled To Discuss Date Rape

By Katherine C. Mayer

Harvard has named a group of 17 students, faculty and administrators to serve on a special task force to examine College policy regarding acquaintance rape and sexual harassment, College officials announced yesterday.

The group, which was formed after a storm of campus protest spurred by several published remarks of Dean of the College L. Fred Jewett '57, will begin meeting shortly before winter break to discuss plans for revamping the Administrative Board's methods of handling harassment cases, said Assistant Dean for Coeducation Janet A. Viggiani.

"We plan to review specific procedures and look at the question of whether the Ad Board is the correct place to deal with date rape," said Viggiani, who will serve as the administrative co-chair of the committee.

The group also plans to institute sensitivity training programs for proctors, tutors and members of the Administrative Board, as well as trying to educate students about the problems of sexual harassment on campus, Viggiani said.

"Obviously we're going to be looking closely at the education of first-year students and ongoing education in the houses," she said.

Although no specific plans have been made, the Task Force plans to hold weekly meetings and work to achieve its goals by the end of the spring semester, according to Viggiani.

The members of the committee were approved by Viggiani, Jewett, and Emily M. Tucker '93, who is the student co-chair of the committee, Viggiani said.

The task force has been formed in conjunction with an advisory committee, which includes members of the community and the faculty. "The members of the advisory committee all have something important to contribute to the task force, but cannot make the weekly time committment," Viggiani said.

Members of the the task force are: Philippa A. Bovet, dean of Radcliffe; Ellen Fitzpatrick, assistant professor of history; Deborah Foster, senior tutor of Currier House; Naomi Hamburg; Melissa R. Hart '91; Hilda-Hernandez-Gravelle, assistant dean for race relations and minority affairs; Elizabeth Keeney, director of advanced standing; Davida F. McDonald '92; and Henry Moses, dean of freshmen.

Also on the task force are: Gregory Nagy, master of Currier House; Ann Pellegrini, resident tutor in North House; Jessica R. Saalfield '92; David Smith; Muriel M. Spence, director of policy analysis in the Office of Government and Community Affairs; Tucker; Viggiani; and Jeffrey Wolcowitz, assistant dean for undergraduate education.