Representative Responds

MAIL

To the Editors of The Crimson:

I would like to correct some inaccuracies in a recent Crimson article regarding my first year as the state representative for the 28th Middlesex District ["A Year After Victory, Thompson Faces Opposition," Feb. 6].

First, my margin of victory over the former incumbent in the 1988 Democratic primary was 49 votes, not 51 as reported in your story. I was subsequently successful on two occasions--the general election and a vote recount.

Second, your story stated that Lester P. Lee, Jr. "ran" my 1988 campaign. This is incorrect. Lee was one of a number of people in the district who played a role in my victory, but my campaign was run by my campaign manager, Francis Stone.

I find it curious that your reporter relied heavily on criticisms by two people who aren't even registered Democrats. Glenn Koocher, who likes to foster controversy for his local cable television program, is a Republican. Lester Lee is an Independent, who only first registered to vote in Cambridge five years ago--when he was well into his 30s--even though he is a native Cantabridgian.

Moreover, Lee may now be expressing his "concern about patronage jobs" because of his disappointment in not being named to the Massachusetts Civil Service Commission. I thought he would have been a good addition to the commission, and therefore sent a letter on his behalf and helped him get an interview with the governor's personnel director. I am sorry he now thinks it necessary to criticize my record of service to the district because that civil service position remains unfilled.

Those who suggest I am not accessible clearly haven't called my office, written a letter or attended the scores of neighborhood and civic functions and meetings where residents have expressed their concerns to me. Alvin E. Thompson   28th Middlesex District