Swordswomen Claim 2nd in N.E. Tourney

Neuhardt Also Takes Second Place in Individual Competition

By Michael Stankiewicz

Entering as defending titlists of the New England championships, the Harvard women's fencing team was geared for another title this weekend. The Big Mo was theirs for the taking.

But sluggishness in the early rounds cost the Crimson a chance to win, losing by three bouts to Ivy rival Brown in the invitational. Harvard lost to the Bruins earlier this year when the two teams tied in number of matches, with Brown coming out victorious based on number of touches.

Let It Snow

MIT finished third and Wellesley fourth behind the Bruins and Harvard in the eight-team competition. Four teams were unable to make the competition because of the snowy traveling conditions this weekend.

"We had some bad early rounds, and were quite happy to get second place," Harvard Captain Amy Neuhardt said.

Following the team competition, the top 10 fencers battled for the individual title, with Neuhardt settling in comfortably in second place and Susan Chan claiming eighth place. Michelle Kosch just missed making the cuts for the individual competition.

Neuhardt went undefeated in match play, Chan lost one match and Kosch lost only three matches to lead the Crimson charge for second place.

THE NOTEBOOK: Harvard plays Yale Wednesday night, and any individuals who qualify for the NCAA regionals will compete next weekend. The qualifiers will be named today.