Wright May Play Harvard

Comic Is Reconsidering Offer by Undergraduate Council

By Jeffrey C. Wu

The Undergraduate Council may announce today that deadpan comedian Steven Wright will perform at Harvard this spring, former council social chair Eugene S. Kim '92 said yesterday.

Although the council was previously unsuccessful in negotiating a Febrary 17 Wright show, Kim said the Boston-born comic is reconsidering a Harvard performance because he wishes to receive a Harvard Lampoon award.

In January the council voted to extend a $10,000 bid to the comedian, but in subequent negotiations Kim said that Wright's agent wanted more money and expressed concern that the Harvard concert would compete with a concert Wright had in Boston the same weekend.

But Kim said yesterday he was optimistic about securing the show since Wright's agent has persisted in his negotiation efforts even though Kim rejected a request that the council pay $2400 for Wright's airfare.

"It's looking very, very good," Kim said.

Kim said that Wright was interested in performing at Harvard because he wished to receive the Lampoon award.

"Steven Wright has a lot of close ties with the Lampoon," said Jeffrey C. Schaffer '91, who identified himself as an "issue editor" of the Lampoon. "He was friends with a lot of alums in the past, so he's very interested in coming back to the castle. I know that's definitely one of the enticements."

Schaffer said it was uncertain which Lampoon award Wright would receive.

"The trustees are going to meet," Schaffer said. "The award we may be giving is the Steven Wright Award for the Lifetime Achievement of Steven Wright, though we might give him an award he is more qualified for."

Kim said the details of the concert have not yet been arranged. Kim also said Wright's performance might include an appearance by Harvard improvisational group On Thin Ice.

If the council succeeds in securing the Wright concert, the show will be the second successful concert bid of the year. Reggae musician Ziggy Marley has also said he will perform at Harvard either April 21 or May 5.