Swimmers Named All-League

Eclectic Notebook

By Gary R. Shenk

After a season in which both the Harvard men's and women's swimming teams saw potential Ivy titles elude them, the announcement of All-Ivy teams may allow for a few smiles amidst the gloom.

On the men's side, the Crimson had honorees in 10 of the 20 swimming events. Sophomore Kevin Williams topped the list, earning All-Ivy in six different events, while classmate Tom Peterson earned four distinctions.

Williams was named to the first team in the 500-yard freestyle, the 200 freestyle and the 1650 freestyle. In addition, the Louisiana sensation joined Peterson, Sumner Anderson and Stephen Root on Harvard's First Team All-Ivy 800 freestyle relay, and swam the freestyle leg on the Crimson's Second Team All-Ivy 200 and 400 medley relay teams.

Peterson earned first team honors in the 400 individual medley, and second team honors in the 500 freestyle and 200 backstroke. Rounding out the list of Harvard honorees is junior backstroker Paul Watson who was first team in the 200 and second team in the 200, and junior Al Wolf, who was second team in the 100 breaststroke.

The women's squad earned an even larger presence on the All-Ivy slate, with honorees in 14 events. Crimson freshmen and sophomores made an especially strong showing.

Sophomore Stephanie Wriede was named to the first team in the 100 and 200 breaststroke and classmate Stacie Duncan for the 400 individual medley and the 1650 freestyle. The sophomore standouts are joined on the top squad by first-years Lynn Kelley and Dierdre Ryan for the 200 and 500 freestyle respectively.

Puck Luck:While the Harvard men's hockey team did not earn a chance to defend its national title, the NCAA tournament proceeds as normal beginning tomorrow.

First round action involves a best-of-three series between the following pairings: North Dakota (27-11-4) at Boston University (21-14-2), Bowling Green (25-15-2) at Maine (31-9-2), Alaska-Anchorage (17-9-2) at Lake Superior St. (31-8-3) and Clarkson (21-9-3) at Minnesota (25-14-2).

The winners of these preliminary matchups play, respectively, at Michigan St. (34-5-3), Wisconsin (32-9-1), Colgate (28-5-1) and Boston College (26-11-1) next weekend. The semifinals will be played at Joe Louis Arena in Detroit March 30 with the championship April 1.

An inside tip for bettors--consensus among Harvard players is that Wisconsin will be the next national champion.

Whyte Light: The hockey honors continue to roll in for senior Char Joslin and sophomore Sandra Whyte, as both were named to the ECAC First Team All-Star squad.

Harvard joined Providence as the only schools with two players on the five-person squad. Other honorees were forward Cammi Granato and defender Kelly O'Leary of Providence, forward Vicky Sunohara of Northeastern and goalie Erin Whitten of New Hampshire.

Whyte had 28 goals and 13 assists as the top Crimson forward this season, while Joslin was named Ivy League Player of the Year for anchoring the Harvard defense.

The only other individual first team honoree was All-America Sheila Findley for the 100 backstroke. The Crimson had first team foursomes in three relay events--the 200 and 800 freestyle and the 400 medley.

Second team namings included: Duncan (500 freestyle), Kelley (200 butterfly), Findley (200 backstroke), senior Mia Costello (100, 200 breaststroke), junior Nicole Engh (200, 400 individual medley), junior Jill Hutchinson (200 freestyle) and the 400 freestyle relay team.

Venerable Vegetables: The men's squash team may also find solace in the All-Ivy selections, with more All-Ivy honorees than any other school, despite the Crimson's heart-breaking second-place finish in the nation to Yale.

Senior Jon Bernheimer, the individual national champion and an All-American, earned All-Ivy for the second year in a row. Sophomores Mark Baker, Jeremy Fraiberg and Jonny Kaye join Bernheimer to round out Harvard's four selections.

Baker, a sophomore transfer from Epsom, England, was also named Ivy Rookie of the Year.

Four members of Harvard's national champion women's team were also honored on the All-Ivy list, headed by national individual champion Jenny Holleran. The senior from Hanover, N.H., is only the eighth woman in the league's history to earn All-Ivy for four straight years.

Senior Hope Nichols and sophomore Stephanie Clark were named for the second straight year. Sophomore Mary Greenhill was the final Harvard honoree, making her first appearance on the All-Ivy squad.