W. Cagers Slide Past Elis, 66-58

Delaney Smith Claims 100th Career Victory

By Peter I. Rosenthal

The end of a basketball season can often mean an exciting race for the division title. Such was not the case this year, however, as undefeated Dartmouth ran away with the women's Ivy League crown.

But you would never have known by Harvard's performance Saturday at Briggs Cage.

The Crimson (13-12 overall, 8-5 Ivy) battled hard against a tough squad from Yale (11-15, 7-7) to notch its second victory over the Elis this season, 66-58. Saturday night's win was Coach Kathy Delaney Smith's 100th as a Harvard coach.

"It was a great game," Delaney Smith said. "I was extremely proud of the effort from both teams. I was overwhelmed with our desire to win."

With just over one minute remaining in the game, Erin Maher showed just how much desire the Crimson had. The freshman guard finished the game with 12 points, including 2-for-3 from three-point range, but the critical basket came with 62 seconds left on the clock and the Crimson up by two points. Unable to find an open teammate, Maher drove the baseline, hung in the air, and sunk a field goal in traffic to ice the game.

Prior to the start of the game, seniors Sandy Springer and Jody Fink were honored for their four years of play on the basketball team. The two forwards were presented with roses from their teammates, but the opening of the game was anything but rosy.

Harvard failed to score until five minutes into the game, finding itself down, 7-2. The Crimson was unable to get shots off as it continually coughed the ball up on the offensive end. The team regrouped, however, and entered the locker room with a slim 24-23 lead.

"We were having a lot of trouble playing frantically in the first half," junior guard Beth Wambach said. "But I think our defense was consistently there. We took control in the second half."

Defense and strong foul shooting kept the Crimson in the game until it could warm up offensively. Harvard came out strong in the second half and opened up an eight-point lead. Yale stormed back, however, mounting a 18-2 run to take a 45-37 lead with 11-and-a-half minutes remaining.

"The game was typical of the Harvard-Yale rivalry," Yale Coach Diann Nestel said. "At times, Yale dominated, and at times, Harvard did. I think Harvard probably has the best freshman class in the league, and Wambach is a heady player. When [Harvard's] hot, they're tough to stop."

Harvard never got red hot, but the Crimson gradually chipped away at the Elis' lead. Wambach led the way with 20 points and junior forward Jen Mazanec added 11 points and six rebounds. Freshman center Debbie Flandermeyer and senior forward Jody Fink anchored the Crimson down low, ripping down eight and six rebounds, respectively.

"Jody Fink just wouldn't let [Yale] rebound," Delaney Smith said. "That's the kind of senior pride that goes a long way."

Although the game may not have had a rosy beginning, it certainly had a rosy ending. Following the contest, Delaney Smith was presented with a bouquet of her own for reaching the century-win mark as Harvard's coach.

Crimson, 66-58 in Briggs Cage Yale  23-35--58 HARVARD  24-42--66

Yale (58): Paula Kenefick 5-15 3-4 16; Tonya Lawrence 7-14 8-11 22; Kate Hackett 1-1 1-4 3; Bonnie Coutu 0-2 0-2 0; Karen Canavan 0-2 0-0 0; Alison Toth 0-0 0-0 0; Wendy Gerhart 2-7 0-0 5; Sarah Jacobsen 4-5 2-2 10; Trina Altman 1-2 0-0 2

Totals: 20-48 14-23 58

HARVARD (66): Maura Healey 1-4 2-2 5; Beth Wambach 7-16 5-6 20; Dina Hadrick 0-4 2-2 2; Jody Fink 2-4 2-2 6; Sandy Springer 0-0 0-0 0; Erin Maher 4-5 2-2 12; Jen Mazanec 5-10 1-4 11; Betsy Odita 2-3 4-6 8; Debbie Flandermeyer 0-1 0-1 0; Heather Harris 1-1 0-0 2

Totals: 22-48 18-25 66

Three-pointers: Kenefick 3, Gerhart 1; Maher 2, Wambach 1. Fouled Out: Kenefick; Hadrick. Rebounds: Yale 32 (Kenefick, Lawrence, Jacobsen 6); Harvard 33 (Flandermeyer 8). Assists: Yale 12 (Kenefick, Canavan 4); Harvard 16 (Healy 5). Steals: Yale 11 (Kenefick 5); Harvard 9 (Mazanec, Healy, Maher 2). Blocks: Brown 2 (Kenefick, Toth); Harvard 2 (Mazanec, Flandermeyer). Total Fouls: Yale 23; Harvard 21. Turnovers: Yale 18; Harvard 20.

Attendance: 215.