Article Stereotyped Wellesley

To the Editors of The Crimson:

We must admit that we were quite flattered when we saw that an entire page of The Crimson had been devoted to the Wellesley College Senate Bus ["Enduring a Boring Trip for City's Excitement," February 26]. We don't think that the Wellesley News has ever printed an entire feature page on, say, the Harvard shuttle.

We commend Rebecca A. Jeschke '92 for riding the Senate Bus for six straight hours--that's dedication for you. Aside from the fact that her article read like one from Women's Wear Daily, she painted a pretty accurate picture of what a busy night on the Senate Bus can be like.

Imagine this weekly hell for first-year students, the predominant patrons of the Senate Bus, who are not allowed to have cars at Wellesley and need transportation to Boston on the weekends.

Yet in her attempt to become the unobstrusive, all-observing Maury Pauvich, Jeschke conveniently stereotypes the Wellesley student as a "giggling and chattering," "self-absorbed" woman with a fetish for hair spray, high heels and strong perfume. We as Wellesley students are offended by having ourselves, along with 2200 other Wellesley women, lumped into this brainless and wanton image so vividly portrayed in this unnecessarily long article.

If The Crimson is so interested in finding out what Wellesley student life is like, or how Wellesley students view Harvard, perhaps the editors should send their reporters out to the Wellesley College campus rather than make these rising journalists forgo an entire Friday evening riding a crowded bus like a "punished Sisyphus."

And for those who dare not venture Jeschke's "triangular trade route," we would happily offer to drive. Elaine Wong   Beth Diamond   Wellesley College