Flynn Rules Out Bid In Gubernatorial Race

BOSTON--Mayor Raymond L. Flynn sent a letter to community leaders saying he would not run for governor and would instead focus on curbing a wave of violence in the city.

"The foremost challenge before us today is the task of building a better future for the children of all our neighborhoods and turning the tide against violence, the illegal drug trade and the despair that affects too many of our citizens," Flynn said in the letter. "To complete this unfinished work, I feel an obligation to continue as mayor of this city."

Flynn released the letter shortly after telling reporters yesterday that he would not comment on whether he would enter the gubernatorial race.

In the letter, Flynn said that after weighing the city's high crime rate and other pressures, he decided that he could serve the city best by remaining as mayor.

Boston University President John Silber, a Democratic gubernatorial candidate, expressed support for Flynn's decision not to run.

"He cares about Boston and his continued attention to the affairs of the city is a great reassurance to its citizens," Silber said in a statement. "The concerns of Mayor Flynn are shared by all the people of Boston."

Calls to Flynn's home and offices were not returned yesterday evening.