Early NCAA Elimination For Shyjan, Zimmerman

After their Harvard men's tennis team was bounced from the NCAA tournament by San Diego in the first round, sophomores Mike Shyjan and Mike Zimmerman were left to carry the Crimson banner in the individual tourney in Indian Wells, Calif.

Today, that banner is flying at half-mast. Shyjan and Zimmerman were knocked out of the singles competition, and the duo fell in doubles as well.

On Wednesday, Shyjan dropped his first-round match to Mississippi State's Juan Rios. Shyjan stayed even with Rios for a while, forcing a first-set tiebreaker. But after the MSU first seed ran out the set, 7-1, he found the second set smooth sailing, cruising to a 6-2 win.

Later that day, Zimmerman came from a set down to put away Rich Lubner of Cal-Irvine. But yesterday, the righthander from Great Neck, N.Y., saw his season end in a straight-set match at the hands of Notre Dame's David DiLucia, who was seeded in the 9-16 bracket.

Double Trouble

The Crimson's California party ended for good yesterday afternoon when Zimmerman and Shyjan, the ninth-ranked doubles team in the country, could not get untracked against Fritz Bissel and Mark Knowles, dropping a 6-4, 6-2 decision.