Women's Studies Course Dropped

By Stephen J. Newman

Students looking to study women's issues here this summer have found themselves changing their plans as Harvard Summer School has cancelled one of only two courses in the field.

Last month, the Summer School deleted "Women in Modern America," a history course, from the curriculum when its scheduled instructor, Catherine Clinton, was offered and subsequently accepted a teaching post here for the fall. Because she had to plan her fall courses, Clinton said she was forced to back out of her summer course at the last minute, leaving the summer school with too little time to replace her.

"We scrambled, but couldn't find anyone else to teach the course," said Peter Buck, director of the summer school.

Clinton was appointed a lecturer in the Afro-American Studies Department, and will teach the department's year-long introductory survey course, Afro-Am 118a/118b. She also plans to teach a course on African-American Women's History.

"I'm very sorry that the Extension School and the History Department couldn't find a replacement," Clinton said, adding that family obligations already substantially limit the time she can spend on academic matters.

Clinton said she was especially disappointed that the course could not be offered because women's studies gained support among members of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences only after proving its merit in Extension School programs. The Extension School administers most of Harvard's summer programs.

Buck agreed that the course's omission was unfortunate, but added, "It's better to give up a women's studies course during the summer than to give up an Afro-American Studies course during the year."

Several students contacted said they were disappointed they would miss out on the women's history course. Laura Falk, a student in the secondary school program, said Clinton's coursewas one of the main reasons she applied to HarvardSummer School.

"I'm sort of a feminist, and I was interestedin studying women's history," she said. Instead,Falk, whose high school does not offer any women'sstudies courses, said she will take "Law andPsychology."

The remaining women's studies course offeredfor the summer is a Visual and EnvironmentalStudies course examining the role of women inAmerican cinema