A Key Decision

LOVE STORY CHANGES:

"WE can't hide behind tradition."

With these words, Crimson Key President Catherine I. Bekooy '91 and her organization decided to break with tradition and alter the annual Rocky Horror-esque showing of Love Story. Tonight in the Science Center, Crimson Key will expose first-year students to a whole range of Harvard humor--but will omit the sexist taunts and jokes that have made the show a subject of controversy in recent years.

Gone will be numerous references to Jenny as "bitch!" Gone will be the taunts to Oliver to hit his girlfriend. Gone will be jokes trivializing date rape. While Crimson Key's decision to eliminate blatant sexism from the performance is overdue, it is nonetheless important--and other upperclass students at Love Story should follow its example and refrain from continuing the insulting tradition.

FOR years, many students defended the slurs as "just a part of the joke" or "as Harvard as Freshman Week itself." Such arguments ignored the context of Love Story--a time when first-year students begin to understand the acceptable boundaries of humor at Harvard. Previous years' sexist jokes gave a misleading impression that verbally abusing women was acceptable behavior. Now, Crimson Key has proven that its commitment to welcoming all students extends past its hospitality tent.