Who's Who in Statewide Races

When voters head to the polls today to pick the top contenders for the next generation of Massachusetts leadership, they will have more on their mind than just the hotlycontested campaign to succeed Gov. Michael S. Dukakis.

In addition to hard-fought races for lieutenant governor, two candidates from each party are vying for the position of attorney general. On the Democratic side, incumbent James Shannon is currently leading Middlesex District Attorney L. Scott Harshbarger '64 by a slim margin, according to a recent poll in The Boston Globe.

Shannon, a former U.S. representative, has been attorney general since 1987, using the post to launch a legal battle against the Seabrook nuclear power plant and to force the repeal of a school policy discriminating against employees with AIDS.

His opponent is best known for his attempts to prosecute a woman who allegedly killed her unborn child in a drunk driving accident. The district attorney maintains, however, that the case would not affect abortion rights.

Both candidates describe them-selves as pro-choice and anti-death penalty.

On the Republican side, the Globe poll gave attorney William C. Sawyer '51 an eight-point lead over former Metropolitan District Commissioner Guy Carbone, who dropped his gubernatorial bid earlier in the year.

Sawywer is pro-choice, but supports a program of much tougher punishments, including the death penalty and a "boot camp" style prison camp for drug users and first offenders to ease prison overcrowding. The more conservative Carbone is anti-abortion and supports the death penalty for first-degree murderers.

Treasurer Contest

In the race for treasurer, Republican Joseph Malone '78 is unopposed in the primary. House Speaker George Keverian '53, State Rep. William Galvin and State Sen. Richard Kraus are vying for the Democratic slot on the November ballot.

Galvin, who leads in the Globe poll, proposes using state investments to spur banks to help more with economic development. He also says he would publish the state's financial performance monthly and enhance lottery proceeds to cities and towns.

Keverian, whose last term as Speaker has been marred by fierce battles with his leadership team over solutions to the state's budget deficit, has pegged his campaign on restoring public trust in the treasurer's office, saying he offers a record of integrity.

Kraus, who trails a distant third in the race, is a former Harvard administrator who has served in the State House for eight years.

He says he will use his management experience to cut staff drastically and reduce a bureacracy that he says is plagued with patronage.