Leftist Journal May Return

Subterranean Review Will Attempt to Publish in Fall

By Peter J. Keith

After a one-year absence from the campus scene, Harvard's self-proclaimed "left journal of politics and culture," is attempting to emerge from the underground this fall.

Staff writers for the old The Subterranean Review, which ceased publication last year because of what one member described as a rightward swing in the student body, said yesterday that they are meeting with a new corps of campus leftists in an effort to launch a revamped version of the magazine.

Organizer Paul N. Gailiunas '92 described his vision of the new Subterranean Review as a "no-holds-barred magazine that will relentlessly put forth views that have not yet been given a full arena."

The group plans to focus on the issues of democracy and student empowerment, the function of the University and academic concerns, but will leave its agenda open to all ideas, he said.

Organizers of the reborn magazine said that mainstream publications such as The Crimson and the liberal monthly Perspective have stifled political debate on the Harvard campus. In addition, the high-profile attained last spring by the conservative monthly Peninsula convinced many leftists that they needed a new voice on campus, Galiunas said.

"The members will be dissatisfied with the quality of debate at Harvard, or rather, non-debate," said organizer Adam T. Lehner '92.

Although Perspective and the old Subterranean Review were prone to internecine sniping at one another in days of old, Perspective senior editor Jeanne F. Theoharis '91 said she welcomed the addition of new forums for leftist views.

She attributed the interest in reviving the magazine to stepped up activity by groups like Peninsula.

"Much like the new women's magazine [The Lighthouse], the Review is a natural reaction to increased right-wing political activity at Harvard in the past few years," Theoharis said.