NEWS BRIEFS

Law School Offers New Fellowships

Harvard Law School officials yesterday announced the creation of a fellowship program in public international law and the names of the first 10 recipients of that award.

The program, funded for the first two years by a $400,000 Ford Foundation grant, is designed to encourage law students to pursue teaching careers in international fields.

"There is a real shortage of teachers in international law," said Frank-furter Professor of Law Abram Chayes '43, who chairs the faculty committee that supervises the new program.

Recipients of the fellowships will spend a summer between their second and third years of law school studying in foreign programs or serving in legal internships at international organizations, such as the U.N. Environment Programme and the International Atomic Energy Agency.

During the year after graduation, the fellows are paid a stipend roughly equal to the salary of an appelate court clerk and are expected to study abroad and write a large work for publication.

Officials said that the Ford Foundation would be using the program at Harvard to guide simlilar fellowship programs at Columbia University, the University of Michigan, New York University, and Yale University.

UNC Prof Links Cigarettes and Risk

"Cigarettes never interfere with my fightin' trim," said baseball great Lou Gehrig of the New York Yankees in a 1934 Camel advertisement. But the age when sports stars and doctors championed their favorite brand of cigarettes in public is over, according to a professor at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

Allan Brandt last night addressed a crowd of about 50 people--most affiliated with the History of Science department--in the Science Center and discussed his research on the link between cigarette smoking and American views of risk in general. A former assistant professor at Harvard, Brandt has recently made several forays into the field of epidemiology, the study of epidemics.

Dividing his presentation into four parts, Brandt detailed how the cigarette became enormously popular in America, how the link between cigarettes and disease was recognized, how the state has wrestled with this public health concern, and finally how cigarette smoking has taken on new social and cultural meanings.

"The history of cigarette smoking in America is the perfect case study for an inquiry into societal approaches to risk-taking and is a superb example of epidemiology in general," Brandt said.

147 Students to Pay Study Card Late Fee

Harvard will rake in $4410 this week from 147 undergraduates who failed to file study cards Monday, the registrar's office said yesterday.

Those who continue to be tardy will have to pay $30 for each additional week, said Associate Registrar Thurston A. Smith.

Despite the hefty fee, Smith said every year a number of students miss the 4:30 p.m. deadline. This fall's figures were not unusual, he added.

Late filers must also get the signature of the instructor of each course. This additional requirement often causes further delays, Smith said.

The fact that Rosh Hashanah, a Jewish high holiday, fell at the end of shopping period contributed to some students' inability to hand in cards on time, Smith said.

Other causes included immunization problems, forgetfulness and general misinformation. For example, one first-year student received incorrect advice about the language requirement, said Jim F. Walton, a staff assistant in the first-year dean's office.

Smith said 6586 undergraduates filed their cards Monday. Similar figures are not yet available for the graduate student body.

Late cards must be filed at the registrar's office on the eighth floor of Holyoke Center.

Club to Offer Program In Business Software

The Harvard Entrepreneur's Club plans to intitiate a non-profit program next spring to teach students how to use computers for business applications, club organizers said yesterday.

The program will focus primarily on software already used by the business community, said Scott R. Davidson '92, club president. Davidson said the club hopes to prepare students for the business world and give them a competitive edge on the summer job market.

"We'll fill a large void in the Harvard community," said club member J. Dean Newton '91, adding that the program will be the first of its kind at Harvard.

Dean of Students Archie C. Epps approved the program yesterday and said it was a "very impressive idea."

Although they expect the program to receive some private funding, club organizers said they aren't planning to yield a profit on the venture.

"Our main goal is to explore the entrepreneurial process and contribute to Harvard," explained Davidson, who said the club may charge students a fee to participate.