McCarthy Speaks To Group at HLS

By Sean L. Presant and Anna D. Wilde

Undeclared presidential candidate Eugene McCarthy delivered what many considered his first election speech of the campaign season before a modest crowd of 60 at Harvard Law School last night.

"I've already announced [my candidacy]," he said. "I'm almost ready to make a declaration, but not quite."

McCarthy, who has run for president twice before, spoke about the evolution of the modern presidency and the flaws in what the office has become.

"There is a fundamental disdain or disrespect for the Constitution," he said. He added that he especially disapproves of modern presidents' constant use of the veto.

"Presidents who use the veto excessively encourage Congress to be irresponsible in what they send to the president," said McCarthy.

The Bush administration has been particularly guilty of this, he said.

McCarthy also criticized the tendency of modern presidents, particularly George Bush, to emphasize and take advantage of divisions and tensions in modern society.

"There is a willingness to exploit the most critical areas in which there is prejudice or a danger of prejudice in this country," he said.

McCarthy cited the nomination of Clarence Thomas to the Supreme Court as an example, calling it an attempt to "set Blacks against Blacks."

McCarthy said he feels that the Bush administration's recent refusal to support a loan to Israel "opens the way to a positive manifestation of anti-Semitism."

Another problem with the modern presidency is a tendency to avoid responsibility, said McCarthy, calling Bush the first "no-fault" president.

"George doesn't like to say 'I'," McCarthy said.

In an open question session after the lecture, McCarthy was asked about Anita Hill's testimony before the Senate Judiciary Committee.

"It's a Senate hearing that got out of hand," he said. "It's become a trial, not a hearing."

He added that he thought Thomas was "unqualified."

McCarthy told The Crimson that he plans to reunite the Democratic party, which he said has been split since Lyndon B. Johnson left office.

When asked if his age was relevant to his candidacy, McCarthy said, "I'm in a lot better health than George Bush."

Although the 250-seat court room was only about one-quarter full, audience reaction was positive.

"It was interesting, especially considering I'm a history buff," said Roy A. Arsenault, president of the New Hampshire Young Democrats Club. "It's nice to meet someone who was there when important decisions were made.