Stickwomen Top Friars, 1-0

By Joanne Nelson

The Harvard field hockey team raised its record to an impressive 7-1-1 yesterday afternoon, blanking Providence College, 1-0. The Friars have had some solid games against the likes of Boston College, UMass-Amherst and Michigan State, but now stand at 8-5.

The choppy ground of Cumnock Field made it difficult to play a small combination, push pass game, but Harvard adjusted nicely to the conditions. Its attack contained some fine individual rushes by seniors Becky Gaffney and Loren Ambinder.

Providence had a more difficult time handling the deep field.

"We've been playing really well lately, but its tough for any visiting team to come on this field and also face Harvard," Providence Coach Jackie Gladu-Barto said.

The Friars used a wall defense to block many Harvard hits. Providence also managed to power the ball up field, but its passes were not as effective nor its footwork as quick as Harvard's.

"Harvard's play was consistent," Coach Gladu-Barto said. "They beat us to the ball and worked together as a unit."

All She Wrote

Harvard's quickness led to an early first-half goal, which turned out to be the game-winner. Forward Becky Gaffney swooped down on an errant Providence pass at the Friars 25-yard line. She cruised toward the Providence net and beat the roving goalie, Gina Martiniello.

In the second half, the pace slowed a little and the play became a little sloppy. Harvard was still able to move the ball across the field effectively, but Providence gained momentum.

The Friars tested Crimson goalie Lisa Yadao, but she responded perfectly to the challenge.

Harvard was having its own troubles with Martiniello. She frequently charged from her net to block loose balls or to challenge shooters. At times, she seemed to have magnetic pads, and she did a tremedous job of closing down angles.

Harvard, however, remained just one lucky bounce from cashing in on her risky style of play.

The Crimson also tried to flick the ball over Martiniello's towering figure on corners. The Crimson forced the mobile goalie to make 14 saves.

"It's a little surprising to look up and see the goalie that far out of the net, but by the second half our players adjusted," Coach Sue Caples said. "We began to cross the ball in the circle."

Too Little, Too Late

As the game wound down, Providence really began to pressure the Harvard defense and forced a couple of corners.

In the final minute, however, Kristen Fowler led the pack in pushing the ball into the Friars' end as the buzzer sounded.

"We need to build our confidence in handling the ball down there on defense, but this was a good game for us," Caples said. "This team can still do a little more and when that happens, then you'll see some great hockey."